Subject: 3D glasses summary

From: Deley Sulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:38:37 -0500

Hi Guys,

A while ago, I requested information regarding 3-D glasses.  As a 
result, there were several excellent responses. Below is the original 
question and a summary of the responses

Thank you so much to those of you who responded.  I hope this will be 
helpful to anyone else who needs this information.  I apologize for the 
time lag in my summary of these responses.

==============  Original Question  ==============
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some high quality red/blue 3-D glasses for viewing 
large molecule dynamics in Spartan and other programs with 3-D 
capabilities.  If anyone knows of a company which carries this, please 
let me know.

Thanks, Deley Sulton

==============  Response #1 ==============

From:  "Hui-Hsu (Gavin) Tsai" <[email-masked]>

I tried the spartan installed in my computer. It does not have MD 
functions and 3D capacity. But InsightII in MSI and Sybl (?) have the 3D 
capacities.

Some kinds of 3D glasses are very fancy using liquid crystal and also 
need battery. Molecular simulation inc and sybl may have 3D fancy 
glasses.

==============  Response #2 ==============

From: "Dr. Peter Bladon" <[email-masked]>

One firm is:
Karran Group
Karran House
Woodbridge Meadows
Guildford
Surrey
England
GU1 1BA
UK

Phone +44-(0)1483-576-777
Fax   +44-(0)1483-458-558
ISDN  +44-(0)1483=450-398
Email [email-masked]

They have supplied me in the past with red/green and polarising 
spectacles.  They also make red/blue spectacles.

Whether their products, which are of the cardboard mounted types, would 
satisfy your "high qua;ity" requirement is another matter.  Looking at 
their web-site
http://www.karran.com/home/html  is interesting.  They seem to be really 
a firm of printers specialising in advertising "toys"

I can recommend them for their friendlyness and willingness to supply 
small quantities, and a reasonable price. The spectacles cost me 8 
pounds per 100 for the red/green type and 25 pounds for the polarising 
type.  This was some years ago however.

Yours sincerely, Peter Bladon

==============  Response #3 ==============

From: Science <[email-masked]>

Well, at home I have "low quality" ELSAs 3D shutter glasses, originally 
made for Half Life, but work great with GRASP. At work I have those from 
Stereographics, the CrystalEyes. I suppose there are "high quality" , 
however I am not satisfied with any of these when it comes to viewing a 
protein or a part of it in ball and stick.

Good 3D effect is so far only gained when viewing  molecular surfaces.

Cheers, Sergio

==============  Response #4 ==============

From: Sergio Manzetti <[email-masked]>

www.stereographics.com

Cheers, Sergio

==============  Response #5 ==============

From: "Borosy, Andras {Basi~Basel}" <[email-masked]>

http://www.nuvision3d.com/

Best, Borosy, András
Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd
POB 3255, 65/316
4002 Basel
tel: +41-61-6885469
fax: +41-61-6882139
www.basileapharma.com

==============  Response #6 ==============

From: "Mark A. Thompson" <[email-masked]>

It appears that one needs an application written with Direct3D (rather 
than OpenGL) to use these glasses.  I'd bet that most commercial 
chemistry applications use OpenGL.

Mark
home page: http://members.home.net/markt158/

==============  Response #7 ==============

From: Enrique Carredano <[email-masked]>

Some time ago there was some information about 3D glasses in the CCL. I 
contacted them, bought a pair of glasses and they work fine for the sgi 
with the TRIPOS software. Here I forward the e-correspondence to you.

Best regards, Enrique

=> summary of the results of Enrique’s  e-correspondence with:

Hervé SCHWERTZ
PIXEL TECH
Site de Grosberty
07100 Annonay
FRANCE
Tel: 33 4 75 69 00 40
Fax: 33 4 75 69 00 48
email:  [email-masked]
web: www.caldera.fr/pixeltech

Objet : Re: Affordable stereo (3D) glasses for Crystallographers and 
Molecularmodellers

Our company markets a new range of affordable stereoscopic wireless 
glasses: the 60GX. They deliver images that are crisp, clear and 
flicker-free over the entire display. Lightweight and easy to wear, they 
can be installed in seconds and even fit over prescription glasses. The 
60GX are fully compatible with all of today’s stereo-ready workstations 
(SGI,HP,  Sun, DEC-Compaq, IBM) . They are also compatible with IR 
emitters from Stereographics, providing an economical alternative to 
Crystaleyes. They bring you superior quality in a lighter frame at a 
lower price.

Of course, they are fully compatible with cristallography software such 
as Frodo, Turbo Frodo, O (Alwyn Jones purchased one of our systems), and 
molecular modeling packages from Tripos, MSI, or Oxford molecular.

The retail price of our glasses if half the price of its competitors, so 
do not hesitate to contact us for further details, or to get a demo unit 
for testing.

(See attached pdf files below)	

<File attached: pastedGraphic.tiff>
<File attached: pastedGraphic.tiff>