Subject: FYI:ANN: F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator (fwd)

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:26:09 +0100 (MET)

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
______________________________________________________________
ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204
57F9CFD3: ED90 0433 EB74 E4A9 537F CFF5 86E7 629B 57F9 CFD3

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:16:10 +0200 (EET)
From: Pearu Peterson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: ANN: F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator

F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator

I am pleased to announce the third public release of f2py (2nd Edition)
(version 2.3.328):

     http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/

f2py is a command line tool for binding Python and Fortran codes.  It
scans Fortran 77/90/95 codes and generates a Python C/API module that
makes it possible to call Fortran subroutines from Python.  No Fortran or
C expertise is required for using this tool.

Features include:

   *** All basic Fortran types are supported:
         integer[ | *1 | *2 | *4 | *8 ], logical[ | *1 | *2 | *4 | *8 ],
         character[ | *(*) | *1 | *2 | *3 | ... ]
         real[ | *4 | *8 | *16 ], double precision,
         complex[ | *8 | *16 | *32 ]

   *** Multi-dimensional arrays of (almost) all basic types.
       Dimension specifications:
		 <dim> | <start>:<end> | * | :

   *** Supported attributes and statements:
         intent([ in | inout | out | hide | in,out | inout,out ])
	 dimension(<dimspec>)
	 depend([<names>])
	 check([<C-booleanexpr>])
	 note(<LaTeX text>)
	 optional, required, external
NEW:     intent(c), threadsafe, fortranname

   *** Calling Fortran 77/90/95 subroutines and functions.  Also
       Fortran 90/95 module subroutines are supported.  Internal
       initialization of optional arguments.

   *** Accessing COMMON blocks from Python.
NEW:   Accessing Fortran 90/95 module data.

   *** Call-back functions: calling Python functions from Fortran with
       very flexible hooks.

   *** In Python, arguments of the interfaced functions may be of
       different type - necessary type conversations are done
       internally in C level.

   *** Automatically generates documentation (__doc__,LaTeX) for
       interfaced functions.

   *** Automatically generates signature files --- user has full
       control over the interface constructions.  Automatically
       detects the signatures of call-back functions, solves argument
       dependencies, etc.

NEW: * Automatically generates setup_<modulename>.py for building
       extension modules using tools from distutils and
       fortran_support module (from SciPy).

   *** Automatically generates Makefile for compiling Fortran and C
       codes and linking them to a shared module. Many compilers are
       supported: gcc, Compaq Fortran, VAST/f90 Fortran, Absoft
       F77/F90, MIPSpro 7 Compilers, etc.  Platforms: Intel/Alpha
       Linux, HP-UX, IRIX64.

   *** Complete User's Guide in various formats (html,ps,pdf,dvi).

   *** f2py users list is available for support, feedback, etc.

NEW: * Installation with distutils.

   *** And finally, many bugs were fixed.

More information about f2py, see

     http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/

LICENSE:
	f2py is released under the LGPL.

Sincerely,
     Pearu Peterson <[email-masked]>
     December 4, 2001

<P><A HREF="http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/">f2py 2.3.328</A> - The
Fortran to Python Interface Generator (04-Dec-01)

-- 
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list