Subject: hardware problem

From: Krzysztof Radacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:53:43 +0100

Dear CCL'ers
I hope that someone would give my advise.
We've bought two computers (each with Tyan S2462 mainboard,
2 Athalons MP and 2GB Memmory) to use them with QM-software.
The aim is gaussian/linda and dalton/mpi - both at 4 processors.
After instalation of RedHat7.2 and configuring both computers in
private sub-net I wanted first to test them just with "normal"
parallel verison of gaussian (SMP on one board). For this purpose
I've choosen freq-job at DFT, small boron cluster (B4H8). The 
gaussian binaries I've used was the old one compiled for PII (-tp p6).

After maybe 1 min computer has produced some beeps (sounds similary
to POST code 1-long 6-short). Untill this moment everything was fine.
After short time it has produces 2nd beep-string and ... hanged.
In the POST-codes description I found on the web-page of Phoenix 
(BIOS manufacturer) is mentioned nothing about 1-6 code.

> From other side - single processor job was a little more stable.
The 1st beep came later, 2nd at all (maybe to short calculation) 
and job was finished with "normal termination"

The memtest86 has found no errors in memmory. The processors
were not overheated (ca. 46-52 C).

IF someone has some expirece with this MB I would be glad to hear 
about it (setting of BIOS, linux ect.)
Any advise would be wellcomed. 

MfG
K.Radacki