Subject: nato-asi event

From: "Nino Russo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:07:40 +0100

NATO Advanced Study Institute (ASI)

on

Metal-Ligand interactions in molecular-, nano-, micro-, and macro-systems
in complex environments

Cetraro (CS), Italy

September 1-12, 2002
 
Director: Prof. Nino Russo              
Dipartimento di Chimica
Università della Calabria
I-87030 Arcavacata di Rende
Italy
                               
Co-Director: Prof. Malgorzata Witko
Institute of Catalysis
Polish Academy of Sciences                    
30239  Cracow
Poland

Organizing Committee
 
-Nino Russo
 Dipartimento di Chimica, Università della Calabria,
 I-87030 Arcavacata di Rende (CS), Italy
 [email-masked]

-Malgorzata Witko
 Institute of Catalysis, Polish Academy of Sciences,
 ul Niezapominajek, 30239 Cracow, Poland
 [email-masked]

-Dennis R. Salahub
 Steace Institute for Molecular Sciences, NRC,
 100 Sussex Drive, Ottawa K1A  OR6  Canada
 [email-masked]

-Hans Joachim Freund
 Fritz-Haber Institute, Max Plank Gesellschaft, Chemische Physik,
 Faradayweg 4-6, D-14195 Berlin, Germany
 [email-masked]

-Julius Jellinek
 Chemistry Division, Argonne National Laboratory,
 Argonne, IL 60439, USA
 [email-masked]

Lecturers

A. Belcher                               University of Texas, Austin, 
USA

H. J. Freund*                           Fritz-Haber Institute, Berlin, 
Germany

U. Heiz                                    University of Lousanne, 
Switzerland

C. Henry*                                CNRS, Luminy, France

J. Jellinek,*                              Argonne National 
Laboratories, Argonne, USA

G. Ozin                                    University of Toronto, Canada

M. Pettitt                                 University of Texas, Huston, 
USA

M. Ratner                                Northwestern University, USA

E. Rizzarelli*                            Università di Catania, 
Catania, Italy

N. Russo*                               Università della Calabria, 
Arcavacata di Rende, Italy

D. R. Salahub*                        Steace Institute for Molecular 
Science-NRC, Ottawa, Canada

R. Schlogl*                              Fritz-Haber Institute, Berlin, 
Germany

D. York                                   University of Minnesota, USA

M. Witko*                               Institute of Catalysis, Polish 
Acad. of Sci., Cracow, Poland

J. Webb*                                 Mudoch University, Australia

In addition a series of Special Research Seminars will be taken by:

M. Ghedini                               Università della Calabria, 
Arcavacata di Rende, Italy

E. Drioli                                   Università della Calabria, 
Arcavacata di Rende, Italy

J. Ugalde                                 Universidad del Pais Vasco, 
Spain

I. Bertini                                   Università di Firenze, 
Italy

C. Mijoule                               Université de Toulose, France

A. Grand                                 CEA, Grenoble, France

P. Gerling                                 Bruxelles, Belgium

G. Frenking                              Philipps Universitat, Marburg, 
Germany

K. Hermann                             FHI, Berlin, Germany

Topics

Transition Metal Chemistry
Material Sciences
Catalysis
Surface Science
Bio-inorganic Chemistry
Molecular Dynamics
Density Functional, ab-initio and semiempirical methods

Location and Venue

The ASI will take place at the Grand Hotel San Michele
( http://www.sanmichele.it ) in Cetraro, Calabria, a beautiful four
star hotel on the sea with all conveniences, a private beach, golf and tennis,
and a well-earned reputation for their meals.

The closest airport is at Lametia Terme about an hour's flight south of 
Rome. A bus service will be arranged from Lametia Terme Airport to the 
ASI side, with stops at Paola railway station (6 hours from Rome and 4 
> from Naples with an Intercity) for those who arrive by train. Further 
information on the train schedule can be obtained at www.trenititalia.it 
. Cars may be rented at Lametia Terme airport. Besides the breathtaking 
beaches, mountains and sea-scapes, a short trip may be made to Reggio 
Calabria (an hour and half by car from Cetraro) and the famous 
archaeological museum (the Riace bronzes are nothing short of 
magnificent) and a short boat ride (two hours by boat) from there to 
Aeolian Islands with their active volcanoes and more superb beaches.

General  Informations

A NATO-ASI is an International  "summer school" of eleven working days. 
Lectures and special research seminars are aimed at the post-doctoral 
level. The ASI participants may be senior graduate students, 
post-doctoral fellows, University Faculty members, governments or 
industrial researchers. Attendance will be limited to about 90 students 
chosen on the basis of their interest and contributions to the subject 
area, the potential benefit to them and to the ASI from their 
attendance, and so as to the achieve a balance of nationalities.

Tuition. There will be no tuition fees for participants from academic 
institutions. Participants from industry will be asked to pay a tuition 
fee of $ US 300 or, better, to have their companies make a more 
substantial contribution to the school (with appropriate recognition in 
the program and publication).

Room and board. Lodging will be at the Grand Hotel San Michele. With 
only a few exceptions, rooms will be assigned double occupancy. The cost 
of room and full board for the 12 nights is 568 Euro (about  $ US 550). 
It is hoped that participants institutions will cover most or all of the 
living expenses. However, the grand from NATO and other support should 
allow significant subsidies to those who would otherwise be unable to 
attend.

Travel support. There is a possibility of limited support.

Application

Those wishing to attend should send a letter by mail, fax or electronic 
mail. This should specify:

-         date and place of birth

-         sex

-         nationality

-         academic qualifications

-         present position and place of work

-         a brief statement of ongoing research and publications 
          relevant to the theme of the ASI

-         PhD student and postdocs should also have send a brief letter 
          from their research director supporting their attendance

-         Those requesting financial aid should state how much and 
          provide a brief justification.

The closing date for application is june 30, 2002. After that date, 
applications will be reviewed on space-available basis.

Application should be send to

Prof. Nino Russo
NATO-ASI Director
Dipartimento di Chimica
Università della Calabria
I-87036 Arcavacata di Rende (CS)
Italy

Tel- +39-0984-492106; fax: +39-0984-492044: e.mail: [email-masked]