Subject: Re: CCL:Gaussian scratch disk limit

From: Christoph van Wüllen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:07:55 +0100

>Hi Folks,
>I was wondering whether there is (still?) an upper limit on total rwf
>file size.  AFAIK there was a max limit of 16GB for linux
>architecture (8 files at 2GB each).

In principle, everything can be in a single file (LINUX now supports it).
The problem is rather that a FORTRAN double precision array has a limited
size (16 GByte if the index runs from 1 to 2**31), so the only way around
is to use 64-bit integers. This is the default for g98 on 64-bit
workstations. If you are really so "keen" on larger files, try compiling
g98 with 64-bit integers and the INTEL compiler -- be sure some hacking is
required to do so.

+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Prof. Christoph van Wüllen      | Tele-Phone (+49) (0)30 314 27870 |
| Technische Universität Sekr. C3 | Tele-Fax   (+49) (0)30 314 23727 |
| Straße des 17. Juni 135         | eMail                            |
| D-10623 Berlin, Germany         | [email-masked] |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+
--