Subject: Free molecule editor under Linux

From: Anselm Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:18:27 +0100

Dear CCLers,

I am looking for a free 3D-molecule editor/builder (not just viewer)
under Linux/Unix.
Input should be mouse-and-click-orientated (not just visualized
Z-matrix-input),
and ideally it should run without any additional installation effords
(i.e. statically linked; C/C++/[Java]).

At the moment, I am only aware of Pymol and GDIS.
Are there any established alternatives ?

My motivation is to offer our Windows-trained students some familiar
input facility and visualization tool...

I'll summarize the answers.

Regards,

Anselm

--
_______________________________________________________________________
Anselm Horn, Dipl. Chem. Univ.          [email-masked]
  ___
 / __|        ___                               Computer Chemie Centrum
| /     ___  / __|
| |    / __|| /                                   Naegelsbachstrasse 25
\ \__ | /   | |                                        D-91025 Erlangen
 \___|| |   \ \__                                 Deutschland / Germany
      \ \__  \___|    Tel: +49 9131/85-2-6583 * Fax: +49 9131/85-2-6565
       \___|       http://www.ccc.uni-erlangen.de/clark/horn/index.html
_______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Wibke Sudholt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:45:57 -0800

Hello,

perhaps take a look at WebMO:

http://www.webmo.net

Kind regards,

Wibke Sudholt
University of California, San Diego
USA

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Anselm Horn wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

---

From: Sudhakar Pamidighantam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:05:12 -0600

Please look at http://chemviz.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ under nanocad editor or
http://chemviz.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/nanocad/nanocad.cgi You can register 
and get an account free.
This applet will be included in a java based portal application to be 
distributed in the next few months.

Sudhakar.

>I'll summarize the answers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Sudhakar Pamidighantam, Ph. D.      Ph:217-333-5831 Fax:217-244-2909
NCSA @ UIUC, 4147 Beckman Institute email: [email-masked]
405 N Mathews Ave. Urbana, Illinois 61801 WWW: swarna.ncsa.uiuc.edu
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------