Subject: MSSC2002 - II circular and application form

From: MSSC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:26:31 +0100

International School of Advanced Study of the University of Torino

           Ab initio Modeling in Solid State Chemistry
                              MSSC2002

           http://www.chimifm.unito.it/teorica/mssc2002

               September 8-13, 2002 -Torino, Italy
            Director: R. Dovesi, University of Torino

  The Theoretical Chemistry Group of the Torino University organizes
a Summer School on the ab initio simulation of crystalline and
defective solids.

  Ab initio modeling has become an ever-increasing area of interest
in solid state chemistry and materials science. The software currently
available for the quantum-mechanical study of electronic properties of
crystalline systems satisfies some requirements that encourage its
widespread use on the part of a rapidly growing community of
non-specialized users (material scientists, crystallographers,
geologists, ...).
To fully exploit the potentialities of these powerful tools, however,
is not an easy task, and an assisted introduction to their use from
experts in the field may be beneficial.

  The MSSC School is addressed to PhD students with interests in
solid state chemistry, physics, materials science, surface science,
catalysis and provides an overview of the possibilities offered by
ab initio quantum mechanical techniques when applied to characterize
solid state materials.

  The present MSSC2002 School is intended as an introduction to
the use of CRYSTAL, one of the most popular general-purpose programs
for the study of crystalline solids, and the first which has been
distributed publicly.
Its aim is to give some general information about the fundamental
issues behind the code, but especially to provide attendants with the
practical skill for the clever use of the program in their field of
interest. The new version of CRYSTAL will be used as a reference both
in the morning lectures and in the afternoon tutorials.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Participation is restricted to 40 participants.
The school will be held from September 8th to September 13th at
the Chemistry Departments of the Torino University.
Registration is scheduled on Sunday, September 8th at 14.00 at
the University Guest House.
The morning sessions will be devoted to lectures by experts.
The afternoons will be dedicated to practical sessions.
In the tutorials it will be shown how to obtain information concerning
various observables using the CRYSTAL code.
Participants will have the opportunity to present posters,
that will be on display for the whole period and discussed during
a special session.

PARTICIPATION FEE
The participation fee is 400,00 €.
It includes:
1. accomodation at the University guest house in shared double room
   (seven nights, from Saturday 7th to Friday 13th September 2002,
   included)
2. lecture and tutorial notes
3. coffee break (morning) and lunch (from Monday 9th to Friday 13th
   September 2002)
4. all social events

Notes:
+ Dinner is NOT included.
+ A limited number of single rooms will be available on request.
  An additional fee of 100,00 Euro is required.
+ For non resident attendants the partecipation fee is 250,00 Euro
  (items 2-3-4 above, included).

For attendants who prefer an independent accomodation, the local
organizing committee will not take care of hotel reservation.

FINANCIAL AID
A limited number of grants are available to partially cover
participation costs (A participation contribution of 70,00 Euro
is required).
If funds are available, a maximum of 500,00 Euro will be given
for refunding travel costs to participants from less favourite
countries. Please note that preference in selecting participants
will be given to eligible candidates who can guarantee travel
coverage by their own local sources.
Attendants applying for grants should provide a recommendation
letter by their supervisor, group leader or a senior scientist.

MSSC2002 HOME PAGE
More detailed information (teachers, preliminary programme, ...)
can be found at the MSSC2002 web site, which has been completely
updated: http://www.chimifm.unito.it/teorica/mssc2002

The application form is either enclosed below in text format or
can be downloaded from the MSSC2002 web site.
The deadline is May 1st, 2002.

Deadlines and Contact Information:

Submission of application form by fax to +39-011-6707855:   May 1st
Notification of acceptance from the organizing committee:   May 15th
Submission of poster abstracts:                             July 15th

E-mail: [email-masked]
Telephone:+39 011 670 7561           Fax:+39 011 670 7855

Postal address:
MSSC2002
Dipartimento di Chimica IFM
Via Giuria, 5
I-10125 Torino, Italy

 *********** MSSC2002 - APPLICATION FORM *************

Please return this application form before May 1st, 2002, by fax to:
    MSSC2002
    Dip.to di Chimica IFM - University of Torino
    Fax: +39-011-6707855
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:

Surname:                                              Gender:   [ ] M
[ ] F

Organization:

Position:
[ ] Graduate student                     [ ] PhD student
[ ] Postdoc                               [ ] Professor
[ ] Research scientist                   [ ] Other:

Address:

City:                                    Zip code:

State:                                   Country:

Phone:                                   Fax:

e-mail:

Are you a CRYSTAL user?        [ ] Yes          [ ] No

Current scientific activities:

Latest scientific pubblications (max 3):

[ ] I will present a poster

Request for financial assistance
(Please provide a recommendation letter by your supervisor,
group leader or senior scientist)

Participation fee:     [ ] Yes      [ ] No
(A limited number of grants are available to partially cover
participation costs (70,00€ of contribution are required).)

Travel costs:    [ ] Total    [ ] Partial    [ ] None
(If funds are available, a maximum of 500,00€ will be given for
refunding travel costs to participants from less favourite countries.
Please note that preference in selecting participants will be given
to eligible candidates who can guarantee travel coverage by their own
local sources.)

Applicant's Signature :                                     Date :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_____________________________________________________________________
For your security, this mail has been scanned and protected by Inflex