Subject: Comp Chem courses, Summary

From: elewars <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:38:31 -0400

2002 April 18

Here is the summary of replies; I apologize if I have omitted someone.
=========
The question

2002 April 8

Hello,

If anyone knows approximately, or even has just a rough idea, how many
universities in North America (or anywhere else, if you know) offer a
course in computational chemistry, I would very much appreciate this
information. Even an educated guess could be useful.

Thank you.

E. Lewars
=================
The replies, #1--#11

#1
    Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
   From:
         "J. Zheng" <[email-masked]>
     To:
         elewars <[email-masked]>

http://pollux.chem.umn.edu/~kormos/8021/

use google to search Computational chemistry course, you will find a lot

websites related to this course.

-----------------------------------------------
|  JIE ZHENG                                  |
|  Department of Chemical Engineering         |
|  University of Washington                   |
|  Seattle, WA 98105, USA                     |
-----------------------------------------------
|  Tel:  (206) 616-6510 (o)                   |
| Email: [email-masked]            |
| Webpg: students.washington.edu/jzheng73     |
-----------------------------------------------

----------
#2
For several years the Northern Territory University, Swinburne
University of Technology and Monash University with the help of one
person at the University of Tasmania have offered a M Sc in
Computational Chemistry which is 2/3 taught over the internet followed
by a residential period of research project. The same people teach a
Graduate Diploma in Computational Chemistry, but awarded only by the
Northern Territory University, comprising just the 2/3 internet units.

This has been quite amazingly unsuccessful as we have had few students.
For this reason and also because I formally retired on Dec 31st last
year and one other member of the team is approaching retirement, we have

discontinued both programs, but are still teaching continuing students.
Our students are based in the US, Malaysia, Taiwan, England, Singapore,
India and one from Australia.

Have a look at:-

http://lacebark.ntu.edu.au/msc/

Regards, Brian.

            Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [email-masked]
  Honorary Fellow in Chemistry, NT University, Darwin, NT 0909,
Australia.
             Post: Box 1028, Humpty Doo, NT 0836, Australia.
Phone 08-89881600.  Fax 08-89881302.
http://www.octa4.net.au/linden/brian/
----------------
#3

The University of Nottingham, UK, has three and four year courses in
Chemistry with Computational Chemistry.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/chemistry/student-opportunities/undergraduate/co

mpchem.html
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/chemistry/teaching/undergraduate/handbooks/compu

tational_chemistry/index.html
Best wishes,
Richard Wheatley.

Richard Wheatley, School of Chemistry, University of Nottingham

"Exploring Modern Computational Chemistry"
 University of Nottingham, July 31 - Aug 2, 2002
 http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/chemistry/emc2
---------------------
#4
Hello,

I know that there are courses in computational chemistry at the
University of
Geneva, both for undergraduate and graduate students.

Pascal

Dr. Pascal Boulet
Queen Mary, University of London
Centre for Computational Science
Department of Chemistry
Mile End Road
London, E1 4NS
UK
Phone: (+44) (0)20 7882 7759
fax:   (+44) (0)20 7882 7794
--------------
#5
Hi,

I can only speak from my own perspective...
In Ireland Trinity College Dublin (www.tcd.ie) offers a
BSc. in computational chemistry (and physics); in
University College Dublin (www.ucd.ie) and at Dublin
City University (www.dcu.ie) it is possible to
do computational chemistry in the third and fourth years.

hope this helps

regards
michael

*******************************************************
Michael Nolan
Computational Modelling, NMRC
Lee Maltings, Prospect Row, Cork, IRELAND

[email-masked];
http://www.nmrc.ie/research/computational-modelling-group/index.html
http://www.asdn.net
Tel:   + 353 21 4904113; Fax: +353 21 4270271
********************************************************
-------------
#6
We offer a dual-level course in Chemical Engineering at the
University of Cincinnati each year that receives very high enrollment
(typically 30-40).

Joel R. Fried
Professor and Head
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0171

Director, Ohio Molecular Computation and Simulation Network
and Center for Computer-Aided Molecular Design

(513) 556-2761
Fax: 556-3473
Email: [email-masked]
Home page: http://www.chemical.uc.edu/fried.html
********************************************************************
--------------
#7
9.04.02

Dear Prof. Lewars,

In a collaborative effort, seventeen spanish universities offer
together a PhD course on Theoretical and Computational Chemistry.
The Universities involved are Euskal Herriko Unibersitatea, Universitat
Autònoma de Barcelona, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universitat
de Barcelona, Universidad de Cantabria, Universidad Complutense de
Madrid,
Universidad de Extremadura, Universitat de Girona, Universidad de
Granada,
Universitat de les Illes Balears, Universitat Jaume I, Universidad
de Oviedo, Universidad de Salamanca, Universidad de Sevilla,
Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Universitat de València, and Universidad
de Valladolid.

See for instance:

http://www.udg.edu/publicacions/doctorat/2001-2002/spa/quimica.pdf
and
http://www.udg.edu/publicacions/doctorat/2000-2001/pdf/17Qumica.pdf

Best regards,

Miquel

 -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 Dr. Miquel Solà
 Departament de Química i Institut de Química Computacional
 Universitat de Girona
 Campus Montilivi
 17071 Girona, CATALONIA (Spain)
 Phone:          +(34).972.41.89.12
 Cellular-Phone: +(34).626.16.35.80
 FAX:            +(34).972.41.83.56
 World Wide Web: http://iqc.udg.es/~miquel/mike.html
 e-mail: [email-masked]
 -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
---------------
#8

   From:
         Gemma Kinsella <[email-masked]>

Hi,
Theres a 4 year comp chem/physics course in Trinity College Dublin as
well, students can specialise in the 3rd year and chose either physics
or
chemistry as their major then.

Hope that helps a little,

Gemma
-------------------
#9

I have no idea how many universities offer such a course, but Brock has
one on the graduate level titled: Computational Chemisty: Applications
in
Biotechnology. This course is CHEM 5P14 crosslisted as BTEC 5P14.

We don't have such a course on the undergraduate level, ignoring the
third
year course in quantum chemistry which has nothing on force fields and
the
like.

Yours sincerely

Stuart M. Rothstein,
Professor of Chemistry and Physics,
Director, Brock "Institute" for Scientific Computation (B"I"SC),
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario,
L2S 3A1 CANADA

[email-masked]
http://chemiris.labs.brocku.ca/~chemweb/faculty/rothstein/

------------------
#10

      From:
            Johannes Weber <[email-masked]>

Hi,

some time ago I searched in the WWW for universities with a
theoretical chemistry department. There was a webpage of the german
academic exchange service (DAAD) where you had to fill in a form and
got the universities back out of a database. I suppose this must be
available in other languages/countries, too. Alas, I don´t remember
the URL but probably google and friends will give you this
information.

After filtering out the universities teaching theoretical chemistry you
may
have a look at the department´s webpage for the courses in computational

chemistry. (I guess, nearly every Theor. Chem. Dept. offers a course.)

Hope it helps, :-)ohannes

PS: This information would also be of interest for me. If you find a
    complete list, would you be so kind and summarize it ?
-----------------------
#11

   From:
         [email-masked]

Hello Elewars,

Our university offers 2 courses in molecular modeling.
One is QSAR and the other is basics in molecular
modeling. I am a graduate student at the University of
Mississippi. Let me know if you need any other help.
cheeers!
Yogi

========================================
============================
=================

---

From: Christopher Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:15:59 -0500 (CDT)

Note that the most modern "version" of the site listed below is actually

http://vesta.chem.umn.edu/classes/ch8021/2002/ch8021s02.htm

while the pollux site is more of an archive of past course materials (which
may, of course, be very useful).

CJC

elewars

-- 

Christopher J. Cramer
University of Minnesota
Department of Chemistry
207 Pleasant St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0431
--------------------------
Phone:  (612) 624-0859 || FAX:  (612) 626-2006
[email-masked]
http://pollux.chem.umn.edu/~cramer
(website includes information about new textbook "Essentials
    of Computational Chemistry:  Theories and Models")