Subject: Sourceforge, Chemistry, XML and CML

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:50:13 +0100

This is sort of a general purpose post with several observations and some 
information to post

1.  Many of you know about  http://www.sourceforge.net (but if you don't, you
should).  It supports around  37,000 OpenSource projects.

2. It was a small surprise to me to find relatively few references on the
CCS pages to it (about  30, going back two years).

3. Given this, it was perhaps no surprise to find they have no subject category
such as  "chemistry" or  "molecular science" at sourceforege.
Bio-informatics certainly has!
Remember, we are the community that started this with the QCPE archive
in the early 1960s!  Whatever happened? 

4. Well, it will hardly come as a surprise to see me posting:
http://cml.sourceforge.net/

Its still early days , but this site will contain much to do with
XML,  such as  XML libraries, including  XSD (schemas), 
XSLT (filters and transformations)
and various Java-based tools, mostly relating to  CML (Chemical markup language)
Its software, "but not as you may know it". 

If  you wish to learn, ask FAQs, or make contributions, do please consider
joining the mailing list linked to  the site.

5. An of course we join a select community of other  chemistry projects
homed there.  A short list of these exists on our site, but no doubt it 
will grow (and apologies to anyone who is not there yet, let me know and
you will be!) 
-- 

Henry Rzepa. 
+44 (0870) 132 3747 (eFax) +44 0778 6268 220 (Mobile)
 http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/ Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.

---

From: Scott Markel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:39:54 -0700

CCL readers may also be interested in the OpenScience Project, which
lists 89 efforts in chemistry.  The next most populated category is
mathematics with 56.  Life sciences has 35.  For more information see
http://www.openscience.org.

Scott

-- 
Scott Markel, Ph.D.               LION bioscience Inc.
[email-masked]   4350 Executive Drive
Tel: 858 455 5223                 Suite 260
FAX: 858 455 1388                 San Diego, CA  92121