Subject: CCL Summary: Solutions on how to execute InsightII from a PC desktop

From: "song yunlong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:18:20 +0800

Hi,dear CCLers,
  I have received many helpful suggestions. I have tried several means.They 
are praticable. 
  Here is my original questions:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir,
  I want to execute the InsightII software installed in SGI O2 working 
station from a PC machine.I use Exceed software to login to the SGI O2 
machine. This is smoothly. However, when I tried to run the InsightII 
software, something happened. The system response as follows: 

  Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “xxx.x.xxx.xx:0.0." (which is 
the IP address of my PC ) 
  Couldn’t get initial visual in app-init-display

  It seems that I must install some files about OpenGL with Xlib in order 
to display the interface of InsightII. I have tried this by logging to 
another SGI Indigo 2 machine, there is nothing wrong.Where could I download 
and install the necessary files so that I can do that?

  Can you kindly provide me some solutions about how to execute the 
InsightII software from a PC desktop.Besides, The InsightII software is 
multiple user supported.
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Song Yunlong, Ph.D
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. From the PC desktop, by Exceed software, log into the remote SCI O2 
machine(host), then open a new x-window. Executing InsightII by the 
following commands:
          InsightII -axxess 
In fact,it use x-graphics, not the openGL graphic. So it didn't meet some 
special requirements,such as surface rendering as solid. The graphics are 
not nice, but you can still perform most of the insightII functions.

2. Use Exceed and Exceed3D(the latter surports openGL). As been pointed, 
Exceed is
the only one officially acknowledged by Accelrys as working in OpenGL mode.

3. Use Reflectin X. I have not tried this way. According to Dr. David 
Maxwell,
Reflection X works fine and at a significantly cheaper price.
www.wrq.com/products/reflection From this site, you can obtain a free 60 
days evaluation copy of the Reflection X.

4. Dr. Roberto actually use X-win32 from StarNet (www.starnet.com) to login 
into an SGI Octane (to use Cerius2 suite) from my win2000 pc.He has some 
problems during on-screen selections but it works quite well.

Thanks very much to all those who have reponsed me! Also, I wish it could 
be helpful for those who are interested in this problem!

Song Yunlong, Ph.D

_________________________________________________________________
免费下载 MSN Explorer：http://explorer.msn.com/lccn/intl.asp