Subject: sumary fortran

From: "George Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 08:19:06 +0000

Hi CCL,

first of all I would like to the people who wrote me very interesting 
answers to my question.

If yours is a Windows environment, and if you don't mind an older
commercial version (Fortran 77), I've been satisfied with the Watcom
product available at http://www.openwatcom.org/.

Quoting George Hall <[email-masked]>:
 > Dear all:
 >
 > I am loking for a free fortran compliler to PC. Someone know where I can
 >
 > find it. I will sumarize if there are any response.
 >
 > George Hall.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck McFarland         Cleveland Hts., Ohio         [email-masked]
                         & Rock Hill, South Carolina

Hi George,

This is pretty vague since my laptop is in dock with all my
old mail. I'm using the family machine.

Under linux on a PC, g77 (now part of gcc) works OK in some
cases. It compiles GAMESS fine, Gaussian do not support it,
but I gather some people have succeeded and been told off by
Gaussian. It gives rubbish with mopac, at least under
Redhat7.2. The old fortran-to-C converter, f2c, followed by
gcc also works fine and is better for mopac - otherwise much
like g77.

The intel compiler is free for f77. I think there are linux
and Windows versions.

There is a free f77 from the Salford compiler company.
Salford C is not free but cheap. I have not used these a lot
as I prefer unix.

g77 also works under cygwin which is a unix shell sitting on
top of Windows, not as linux separate with dual-boot or even
a machine that runs only linux.

If you want details and do not get them from others, let me
know. I'm retired now but working at home and I am getting a
new fast linux box in the next couple of weeks. I look
forward to your summary. It may be very useful to me.

Regards,

Brian Duke.

On Sunday 14 April 2002 08:33, George Hall wrote:

 > I am loking for a free fortran compliler to PC. Someone know where I can
 > find it. I will sumarize if there are any response.

The Intel Fortran compiler:
  http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/linux/

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rajarshi Guha                  | email: [email-masked]
417 Davey Laboratory           | web  : http://jijo.cjb.net
Department of Chemistry        | ICQ  : 123242928
Pennsylvania State University  | AIM  : LoverOfPanda
-------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Fingerprint: DCCB 4D1A 5A8B 2F5A B5F6  1F9E CDC4 5574 9017 AF2A
Public Key     : http://pgp.mit.edu/
-------------------------------------------------------------------
All great ideas are controversial, or have been at one time.

Gnu's G77 works well on my PC.
Mark

=================================
Mark Thompson, Ph.D.
Planaria Software
Seattle, WA.
http://www.arguslab.com
=================================

George,
If you are familiar with UNIX environment, check "Cygwin".
Cygwin is a UNIX environment, developed by Red Hat, for Windows, so g77 (GNU
Fortran compiler) is available under your PC.

Check: http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Masa Watanabe

For research purposes you can get free and unsupported the intel compiler
for fortran 95 (www.intel.com), there are manuals on line and math
optimized libraries. I downloaded it for Linux but I think there is also a
Windows version.

________________________________________________________

Manuel Melle-Franco, Ph.D.
Dip. di Chimica "G. Ciamician"
Universita Di Bologna
via Selmi 2, I-40126
Bologna, Italy
---------------------------------------------------------
Fax   :  +39-051-2099456
Phone :  +39-051-2099498
---------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.