Subject: Re: CCL:Hybridization...

From: Eric Scerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1904 21:44:08 -0800

I assume you have tried the obvious?

A search of the excellent Journal of Chemical Education on-line Index at

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journal/Search/index.html

Please let me know if you find any good discussions on hybridization 
in this or other journals.  Each time I teach it I resolve to try to 
clear up my priorities on this topic and to get the philosophical 
picture clear but have never got round to it yet.

regards,
eric scerri

>Students leave first-year chemistry with the belief that hybridization is
>the gospel wrt bonding. So much so that bonding in diatomics, HCl, Cl2,
>etc., is sometimes taught as occuring through hybridized orbitals:
>experiment, symmetry, and ab-initio calcs indicate otherwise.
>
>Is there an article that discusses this at the non-specialist (graduate/
>undergraduate) level? I vaguely recall a website that details this for
>HCl. Can anyone point me to the website again?
>
>Roy Jensen
>
>I will summarize to the List.
>
>
>-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
>[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
>[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
>[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
>Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

-- 

Dr. Eric Scerri ,
UCLA,
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
607 Charles E. Young Drive East,
Los Angeles,  CA 90095-1569
USA

E-mail :   [email-masked]
tel:  310 206 7443
fax:  310 206 2061
Web Page:    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Faculty/scerri/index.html

Editor  of  Foundations of Chemistry
http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/1386-4238

Also see International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry
http://www.georgetown.edu/earleyj/ISPC.html