Subject: EIDE vs SCSI & backup in Linux clusters

From: "Peterson,Brian K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:37:02 -0400

Hello CCLers.

We are specifying a Linux Cluster to use for a variety of codes including
computational chemistry- both quantum and molecular simulations.  I've
looked at the CCL archives to see what people have said about SCSI vs EIDE
drives in such a cluster and the results are a bit ambiguous.  What are the
current perspectives on disk solutions for Intel based Linux clusters?  Are
EIDE drives sufficient?  Does one need to tune parameters to get good
performance?  

Second question.  What are you doing about backup of disks on your Linux
clusters?  Do you just move output files to another machine which is backed
up?

Thanks for any help,

brian

Dr. Brian K. Peterson		Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.	
<mailto:[email-masked]>	7201 Hamilton Boulevard	
phone: 610-481-3850		Allentown, PA  18195-1501	
fax: 610-706-7672			USA	

+