Subject: Of Linux Databases and Xeon Desktops

From: Andrew Fant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,
   I looking for pointers and advice on two separate questions.  Firstly,
does anyone have any suggestions about a program that will run under linux
that has similar functionality to Isis/base?  I have a small (.LT. 1000)
set of compounds that I would like to store a 2d structure for, in
addition to some scalar and string data.  This would just be running
stand-alone for me, so I don't need a multiuser RDBMS, and I am not enough
of a code-jockey to write a database backend that can talk to cactvs.
    Secondly, is anyone using the new dual 2GHz Xeon workstations that are
coming out from the big PC vendors?  I am looking at a new dual processor
linux desktop for myself, and it appears that the Intel party line is to
discourage P4s from being used in dual processor systems.  At least, none
of the major vendors seem to sell Dual P4 configurations.  This is not a
problem, but I have heard mixed opinions about the use of Xeons in desktop
systems.  I would appreciate any feedback, including just a hand in the
air saying that you are using it and don't regret it.

Thanks in Advance,
		Andy

Andrew Fant      |   This    |  "If I could walk THAT way...
Molecular Geek   |   Space   |     I wouldn't need the talcum powder!"
[email-masked]   |    For    |          G. Marx (apropos of Aerosmith)
Boston, MA USA   |   Hire    |    http://www.pharmawulf.com