Subject: Sgi workstation for Quanta

From: "Chun Chung (Jerry) Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all,

we are considering to buy a new SGI workstation for running Quanta 97. 
Owing to the budget limit, we can only afford the starting configuration
of the Fuel visual workstation (SGI VPro V10 graphics, 32MB of graphics
memory, a 500MHz MIPS R14000A CPU with 2MB L2 cache, and 512MB memory). 
An alternative is to get an O2+ (32 bit) with the best possible
configuration (MIPS@R12000A CPU with 2 MB L2 cache, 1 GB memory). My
question is, does it really worth going for the Fuel visual station (e.g. I 
think a 50% gain in performance does not justify the Fuel)? I would be 
grateful to have your suggestions. 

Regards,
Jerry

*******************************************************************
* Jerry C. C. Chan			      phone: 301-402-4687 *
* Laboratory of Chemical Physics              fax:   301-496-0825 *
* Room 406, Building 5, NIDDK	   http://samson3.uni-muenster.de *
* National Institutes of Health                                   *
* Bethesda, MD20892, USA				          *
*******************************************************************