Subject: 03.02.10 Computer-Aided Drug Design Program, UCSD, San Diego

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 02:23:06 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:23:09 -0700
From: Elizabeth Hickman <[email-masked]>

Comprehensive Program in Computer-Aided Drug Design at University of
California, San Diego
http://bioscience.ucsd.edu/CADDSS.html
February 10-14, 2003
San Diego, California

Computational tools have become increasingly important in the drug discovery
and design processes. Methods from computational chemistry are used
routinely to study drug-receptor complexes in atomic detail and to calculate
properties of small molecule drug candidates. Tools from information
sciences and statistics are increasingly essential to help organize and
manage the huge chemical and biological activity databases that all
pharmaceutical companies now possess, and to make optimal use of these
databases.

This intensive 1-week program will provide an overview of computational
techniques and application areas of importance in contemporary drug design
programs, with an emphasis on practical aspects, and the usefulness and
limitations of CADD in current industrial research, addressing topics such
as:

Overall new drug development strategies.
Integrating CADD into your company's overall drug discovery process for
optimum impact.
Potential contributions and pitfalls.
Factors favoring and inhibiting successful CADD contributions.
CADD usefulness and effectiveness metrics.
Likely evolution and forcing functions in near-term CADD methodologies and
its impact on the development of new and better drugs.

To apply, visit: http://bioscience.ucsd.edu/CADDSS.html.