Subject: Reaction Distance

From: Per Tetzschner Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:32:48 +0200

Dear CCL

Just one of those philosophical questions. I have heard plenty of rumors
of different reaction distances, but have no references.

Considering a molecule with an internal local reaction, what would the
preferred reaction distance be for a nucleophilic reaction?

- 2.5-3.0 Angstrom ?
- about 3 Angstrom ?
- 3.0-4.0 Angstrom ?
- The distance between the active atoms in the transition structure + 1.0
Angstrom ?

Statistical there is a better chance of reaction when the reaction
distance is "short". Any reference or just comment is gladly accepted.

Regards

Per

Dept. of Chemistry
University of Southern Denmark
DK-5230 Odense M