Subject: Re: CCL:Stereo for PC

From: Szilveszter Juhos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:49:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Ruben E. Venegas wrote:
> What people are using for viewing structures in 3-D stereo on a PC (W2K
> machine) ?

My experience is that it is worth to learn crossed eyes or parallel eyes
stereo. It is good to your eyes especially if you are using computers too
much (like me). A very good stuff that works on both W2K and Unices is MOE
(http://www.chemcomp.com/) that can do it. Unfortunatelly is is not free.
You can have some stereo eyes intros from:

http://www.vision3d.com/dots.html (I'd leart with its help in an 
http://www.vision3d.com            afternoon)
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/freeview.html 

Tricks like being a bit far from the display at the first time and moving 
your head slowly to find the best matching can help.

> in stereo mode. For example, I'd like to manually overlay two or more
> molecules.

That is a PITA. MOE also will superimpose things for you in no time much
more better than you ever could do it by hand. And you do not even need
stereo for that. The other (and free) tool is SwissPDB
http://www.expasy.org/spdbv/ that will superpose PDBs. 

Sure there are other softwares that I am not aware of since I am rather 
challenged in using Windows ;)

Szilva