Subject: ECCC9 Call for Papers and Proceedings Announcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:41:39 -0800 (PST)

*Please forgive us if you receive multiple copies of this message. It is
beng sent to several lists to ensure the greatest possible dissemination.*

*******************
ECCC9 - 9th Electronic Computational Chemistry Conference

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that registration for the 9th Electronic
Computational Chemistry Conference is now open. ECCC9 will be held March
1 - March 31, 2003, entirely on the Internet, at http://eccc9.cooper.edu.
Abstracts are now being accepted for online submission at the conference
website. We are also pleased to inform you that the proceedings will be
published in a special issue of the online International Journal of
Molecular Sciences (see below).

As in previous years, ECCC9 is a multidisciplinary, international
conference and covers all aspects of computational and theoretical
chemistry and materials science, as well as computational molecular
biology, computational and theoretical molecular and atomic physics,
visualization, cheminformatics, the history of computational chemistry
and all related fields. Participants will be able to view the
presentations and discuss them entirely through a web browser.

As with the previous eight ECCCs, ECCC9 has NO registration fee
and is a completely virtual, online conference. The ECCC was originally
developed by Steven Bachrach, who also organized the first five meetings.

Abstracts for all contributions to ECCC9 will be reviewed by the
Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC) to insure novelty, scientific
value, and appopriateness for inclusion in the conference. The members
of the ECCC9 SOC are:

Robert Topper, Cooper Union (Chair)
David Chatfield, Florida International University
Thomas Cundari, University of North Texas
Olga Dmitrenko, University of Delaware
Walter Fabian, Karl-Franzens Universitaet Graz
Francis Muguet, ENS Techniques AvanceeUs

All presentations must be made in HTML format and ideally will take full
advantage of the interactive nature of the World-Wide Web to present
their findings and conclusions. Authors may choose to either serve their
contributions from their own local web site, or may request us to serve
them from our own server. Uploaded contributions will be removed from our
server at the end of ECCC9.

As in ECCC8, a single weeklong "interactive" session will be part of the
conference. This session will be held via asynchronous posting of
questions to the conference site, which authors can choose to receive
either at the site, at their personal email account, or both. All authors
must commit to having at least one coauthor available to answer questions
(i.e. by checking the discussion board at  least once daily) during the
"interactive" session to provide timely responses (within approximately
24 hours) to any questions that conferees may have about their online
presentation.

Important dates for ECCC9 are:
November 11, 2002 - Registration opens; abstracts of papers accepted
December 13, 2002 - Abstracts of presentations due
February 24, 2003 - Final presentations due online

March 1, 2003 - Conference begins
March 17, 2003 - Interactive Session begins
March 24, 2003 - Interactive Session ends
April 1, 2003 - ECCC9 ends

May 1, 2003 - Submissions to ECCC9 - IJMS Proceedings due

As mentioned above, the Proceedings of the 9th Electronic Computational
Chemistry Conference will be published in a special issue of the
International Journal of Molecular Sciences (http://www.mdpi.net/ijms/).
IJMS is a peer-refereed scientific journal, published online monthly
(since September 2001) and CD-ROM yearly. It is indexed and abstracted by
several leading indexing and abstracting services, including Chemical
Abstracts and CAPLUS, and is physically distributed to various libraries
around the world. IJMS articles are freely available to all on the
Internet. Authors can distribute an unlimited number of e-reprints via
e-mail free of charge. After peer review is completed, accepted papers
will be published immediately.

Although the IJMS is supported solely by the payment of publication
charges by authors, all charges will be waived for all articles published
in the ECCC9 Proceedings issue. Waiver support from the "Open Society
Institute" ( OSI - SOROS foundation) is acknowledged for authors coming
> from one the 67 countries where OSI operates
(a list may be found at http://www.mdpi.net/SOROS/osi-countries.html ).
The MDPI foundation is gratefully acknowledged for extending the waiver
to all authors. We are grateful to the IJMS for their support of the
completely free, completely online ECCC.

As mentioned above, all ECCC9 presentations must be in HTML format, with
their layout and presentation at the discretion of the authors. We would
kindly ask authors who plan to submit their work for review and
publication in the Proceedings to also prepare their manuscripts in the
"Word" format (.DOC) with the help of a template that will be made
available. DOC format documents can be prepared using a variety of
commercial products (such as Word) and freeware products (such as
OpenOffice), following the guidelines of the IJMS template. After peer
review and acceptance, the papers will be published online by the IJMS
editorial office using the PDF format.

In addition to the DOC format paper, authors will also have the option
to  submit a supplement in HTML format, which may allow a richer graphics
content (animation, interactive graphics, java applet, javascript,
VRML, etc .. ) and result in a better overall transcription of their
original ECCC9 presentation. For HTML supplement man uscripts to be
accepted in the online ECCC9 Proceedings issue of the IJMS, they
should follow the guidelines of the HTML template which IJMS will
make available on its web site in the near future.

We look forward to your participation in ECCC9 and the IJMS conference
proceedings.

Robert Q. Topper, Robert Hopkins and Christopher Lent
School of Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
51 Astor Place
New York, NY 10003
[email-masked]
http://eccc9.cooper.edu

*****************************************************************************
9th ELECTRONIC COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY CONFERENCE MARCH 2003
http://eccc9.cooper.edu
*****************************************************************************
Robert Q. Topper, Ph.D.                 
Associate Professor of Chemistry    
School of Engineering                   
The Cooper Union for the Advancement
of Science and Art   
51 Astor Place    
New York, NY 10003
phone:   (212) 353-4378
fax:     (212) 353-4341
*****************************************************************************
                 http://www.cooper.edu/engineering/chemechem/
*****************************************************************************