Subject: 2003 ASME Summer Meeting of the Applied Mechanics and Material Division

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:32:49 -0500 (EST)

CALL FOR PAPERS

2003 ASME Summer Meeting of the Applied Mechanics and Material Division
June 17-20, 2003 Scottsdale, AZ.

Abstract due date: February 15, 2003
Conference website: www.eas.asu.edu/~cpd/conference.html

Symposium on Characterization and Mechanical Reliability of
     Advanced Electronic Materials at Nanoscale

Symposium organizers:
   Alex A. Volinsky, Motorola ([email-masked]),
   Jun He, Intel ([email-masked]), and
   Harley Johnson, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
           Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering ([email-masked])

Rapid advances in microelectronics and MEMS pose great materials and
mechanical challenges. In microelectronic or MEMS devices materials are in the
form of nanoscale structures with a significant volume comprised of
interfaces, surfaces, and grain boundaries resulting in properties vastly
different from their bulk counterparts. Phenomena observed in these structures
include plasticity, fracture, adhesion failures and mass transport. The device
materials have to withstand multiple temperature cycles, as well as mechanical
stresses imposed during processing, packaging, and in operation. Phenomena
like electro and stress migration become extremely important as the features
get smaller.

Characterizing advanced materials in microelectronics and MEMS becomes
extremely challenging, as one has to operate almost on the angstrom scale.
Previously routine tasks such as film thickness measurement now require
development of novel characterization techniques. There is an objective need
to bring academia and industry together in solving these problems. Symposium
topics include, but are not limited to:

- Structure-properties relationship at the nanoscale

- Elasticity, plasticity, adhesion and fracture at nanoscale

- Stress-induced effects in thin films

- Electromigration and stress migration in metallic interconnects

- Mechanical stability and reliability of low-K dielectrics

- New methods of physical properties characterization at nanoscale

- Tribological properties of nanostructured materials

- Yield enhancement for advanced electronic devices

- Theoretical, computational and analytical modeling

- Relationships between processing, composition, structure, and mechanical
  properties