Subject: Launching rasmol from linux mozilla

From: Brian Salter-Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:04:03 +0930

I am on a linux machine (RH 7.2, but I do not think that is important).
I am trying to get Rasmol to be automatically launched to display pdb
files from my browser. I am using netscape:-

Netscape 4.78/U.S., 25-Jun-01; (c) 1995-2000 Netscape Communications Corp.

and mozilla:-

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.2.1) Gecko/20010901,
build 2001090111

I prefer mozilla. I have gone through the process of setting rasmol as
the helper application. For mozilla I took the advice from:-

http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/sweet2/doc/plugin/fhelper.html

and called rasmol from a wrapper script. Rasmol is:-

Version 2.7.2.1 April 2001.

Now I want rasmol to open in three circumstances:-

1. Reading a pdb file of a web page over the internet, when it has the
MIME type 'chemical/x-pdb'.
2. Reading a local pdb file.
3. Reading a local pdb file but with the browser opened with the file
name on the command line from a script. The local file is actually in
/tmp from a mail attachment. I want rasmol to open from the browser the
mail attachment if it is a pdb file. I can open rasmol direct, but I
want to later explore other possible pluggins as chime is not available
in linux.

The problem is that with mozilla only (1) works. With netscape all three
work. With mozilla (2) and (3) just display the text of the pdb file in
the browser window and rasmol is not opened. It looks as if solving (2)
will get (3) working. Note that if I save a pdb file off the internet
and then try to open it from the 'open file' in the mozilla 'file' menu,
it does not open rasmol even though it does directly. In (3) I use
'netscape -remote "openFile($1)"' if netscape is already open or 'netscape
$1' if it is not running. $1 is the URL. For mozilla I used the same,
but had to add 'file://' to the front of $1 to even get the text
displayed.

Does any one have any pointers to what is wrong? What do I have to do
different for mozilla?

Regards, Brian.

-- 
            Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [email-masked]  
  Honorary Fellow in Chemistry, NT University, Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.
             Post: Box 1028, Humpty Doo, NT 0836, Australia.
Phone 08-89881600.  Fax 08-89881302.  http://www.octa4.net.au/linden/brian/