Subject: Summer School on Theoretical and Computational Biophysics

From: Emad Tajkhorshid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:21:51 -0600 (CST)

Summer School
                                on
              Theoretical and Computational Biophysics

             http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/SumSchool03/

                 Application Deadline: April 2, 2003

The Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, an NIH Resource for
Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics (www.ks.uiuc.edu) at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (www.uiuc.edu), will organize a

   "Summer School on Theoretical and Computational Biophysics"

to be held June 2 to June 13, 2003 at the Beckman Institute of the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  The school will explore a
wide range of physical models and computational approaches for the
simulation of biological systems.

The course will be based on case studies including the properties of
membranes, mechanism of molecular motors, trafficking in the living cell
through water and ion channels, signaling pathways, visual receptors, and
photosynthesis.  Physical concepts, mathematical techniques, and
computational methods required will be introduced, including force fields
and algorithms used in molecular modeling, molecular dynamics simulations
on parallel computers, steered molecular dynamics simulations, and
combined quantum mechanical - molecular mechanical calculations.

The summer school is designed for graduate students and postdoctoral
researchers in computational and/or biophysical fields who seek to extend
their research skills to include computational and theoretical expertise,
as well as other researchers interested in theoretical and computational
biophysics.

Campus rooms and all course materials will be provided at no charge. The
registration fee is $50 for students and $100 for all other applicants.
Due to space and equipment constraints, the program is limited to 80
participants.  The deadline for registration is April 2, 2003.

For further information and online registration, go to
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/SumSchool03/

We are looking forward to receiving your application.

Summer School Organizers