Subject: Viewmol problem / IR data visualization

From: Christian Boehme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:40:33 +0100

Dear all,

I want to use Viewmol for IR data visualization, because it imitates the
look of experimental spectra. I compiled version 2.3 from the
sourceforge website without problems (the binaries did not work for me).
However, each file loading attempt, including the contained examples,
results in a "wrong file type error", even if I specify the type on the
command line. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Alternatively, does anyone know another program which shows Gaussian98
calculated IR spectra in a way resembling an experimental spectrum,
preferably under Linux? I think this question has been asked before, but
I did not find it in the archives. WebMO is not a good solution for me,
because of the webserver requirements.

If there is interest I will summarize to the list. Best regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Boehme
Dorstener Str. 40
44787 Bochum
Germany
email: [email-masked]
phone: +49-(0)234-3243655
fax:   +49-(0)234-3246741

---

From: Matthias Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:41:47 +0100

Hi Christian,

in my case the same problem was due to an different language
environment. I compiled Viewmol 2.3 under SuSE Linux 8.0 
(english environment) and it doesn't run under the complete same
installation with german environment. Changing the system
language solved the problem.
Generally, the program seems to be very sensitive to installation
changes, e.g. the path to the executables and convert scripts.
So I had the same error also in case of changing the installation
path, although I adjusted the VIEWMOLPATH variable.
You should try to compile, install and use the program on the same
system with default path structure.

Matthias

-- 
Dr. Matthias Mann 
Fachrichtung Chemie, TU Dresden, D-01062 Dresden
Tel./Fax: +49 (351) 463-34286
Email: [email-masked]