Subject: CCL: Temperature dependence of electronic transitions

From: "Jens Spanget-Larsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:31:35 +0100

Dear CCL:

In Nurrell's classical book from 1963, "The Theory of the Electronic 
Spectra of Organic Molecules", Erich Clar is quoted for the following 
observations concerning the characteristic transitions in benzenoid 
hydrocarbons (pp 92-94):

"Clar designates the three types of bands 1, 2 and 3 by the symbols 
alpha, p (for para) and beta respectively, distinguishing different 
bands of the same type by primed subscripts. Apart from their 
intensity and structural characteristics he distinguishes the alpha 
bands by the fact that they move to shorter wavelengths on lowering 
the temperature whereas the p and beta bands move to longer 
wavelengths."

I am presently trying to get hold of the original work of Erich Clar. 
However, I wonder if someone could give me a key to more recent 
literature dealing with experimental and theoretical aspects of the 
temperature dependence of electronic transitions? - Thanks.

Yours, Jens >--<

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
JENS SPANGET-LARSEN         Office:         +45 4674 2710
Department of Chemistry     Fax:            +45 4674 3011
Roskilde University (RUC)   Mobile:         +45 2320 6246
P.O.Box 260                 E-Mail:        [email-masked]
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark   http://virgil.ruc.dk/~spanget
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=