Subject: RE: Chemistry and architecture relationships

From: "Shobe, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:23:39 -0400

You might want to look at "supramolecular" chemistry, where molecules are
used as "building blocks" to make more complicated structures.  Typically
these are held together by hydrogen bonds or similar interactions.
 
There are also articles on molecular versions of the construction toys,
"Tinkertoys" and "Meccano", perhaps others.  (These are analogies used by
the authors of the papers, but do are not meant to imply any connection to
the companies that manufacture these toys or own the trademarks thereto).
These are typically rigid molecules which react, forming covalently bonded
structures.
 
Hope this helps,
--David Shobe
Süd-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724
email  [email-masked]

Don't bother flaming me: I'm behind a firewall.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miquel Solà [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 10:14 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CCL:Chemistry and architecture relationships

Dear CCLers,

I have to give a talk to graduate students in Architecture on tools used for
chemists to
display molecular properties. I would like to start the introduction with a
reference to
relationships between chemistry and architecture. I know only one clear
example
of this relation which is the C60 molecule called buckminsterfullerene for
its similarity 
with the geodesic domes made by the architect Richard Buckminster Fuller. Do
you know 
other examples? I will post a summary if there is interest. Thanks in
advance for your answers.

Best regards,

Miquel

 -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

 Miquel Solà                           

 Institut de Química Computacional         

 Universitat de Girona                   

 Campus Montilivi

 17071 Girona, CATALONIA (Spain)          

 Phone +34.972.41.89.12

 Cellular-Phone:  +34.626.163.580

 FAX   +34.972.41.83.56                               

 World Wide Web:  http://iqc.udg.es/~miquel/mike.html
<http://iqc.udg.es/%7Emiquel/mike.html>    

 e-mail:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

 -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-