Subject: SARS and 5th canadian computational chemistry conference

From: Jeremy Schofield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 15:26:50 -0400

SARS and the Second Announcement and Call for Abstracts
         5th Canadian Computational Chemistry Conference (CCCC5)

         http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/symposium/cccc5/

     We are pleased to announce that the 5th annual Canadian
Computational Chemistry Conference Chemical will be held in
Toronto, Canada on July 27-30, 2003. We are delighted to report
that the World Health Organization has lifted the travel advisory
against Toronto on Wednesday, April 30th. A delegation of Canadian
Health officials travelled to Geneva and met with Dr. Gro Harlem
Brundtland and convinced him that the travel advisory was
unwarranted. It is important to note that there have been no
new cases in the community for over four weeks, a period of
roughly 3 incubation periods of the disease.  Life in Toronto
is entirely normal and we consider the risk of infection to be
minimal.  Given these facts, the meeting is continuing as
originally scheduled.

   The meeting is intended to foster the excellence of computational
chemistry in Canada. One of the principal goals of the conference
is to highlight the impact of computational chemistry in academia,
industry and society. As in the previous incarnations of this
meeting, a program covering major new directions in research and
applications of the computational discipline has been put
together, with a special emphasis on computational chemistry
applied to biophysics and material science. For this purpose,
we have prepared a program of speakers actively involved in
developing new methods and applications of high performance
computing in chemistry and related areas.

    The meeting will be held on the campus of the University of
Toronto,  with inexpensive rooms available on campus and in
nearby hotels at special rates.  Toronto is an exciting,
diverse city with many attractions, ranging from excellent
museums to fine dining.  Since Toronto is the largest urban
centre in Canada, travel to and from the city is easy and
relatively inexpensive.  The costs of the meeting are
modest (all figures in Canadian dollars):
      Students/Post-docs:     $100 (early) - $130 (After June 15)
      All others:             $300 (early) - $330 (After June 15)
Included in the prices above are registration, Banquet and Reception.

    This edition of the conference targets a number of areas
in which computational chemistry has a large impact, including
applications in material science, computational studies of transition
pathways and rough energy landscapes, soluble and membrane
proteins, advances in structure based drug design,  self-assembly,
membranes, and transport, in-silico adme/tox in drug discovery,
and the development of new methods in quantum chemistry.  A number
of outstanding researchers have been invited for the fifth
edition of this meeting, including:

       C. Bayly (Michigan)
       Emily Carter  (UCLA)
       G.M. Crippen   (Michigan)
       Gabriel Cruciani  (ADME Perugia)
       Julian Gale  (Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine )
       Angel Garcia  (LANL)
       Shekhar Garde  (Rensselaer)
       Phillip Geissler  (MIT)
       P. Grutenhuis  (Deltagen)
       A. Jain (UCSF)
       Hannes Jonsson  (Iceland)
       G. Klopman (Case Western)
       Leslie Kuhn  (Michigan State)
       Glen Martyna  (Indiana)
       U. Norinder (AstraZeneca)
       Gilles Peslherbe  (Concordia)
       Enrico Purísima  (BRI Montréal)
       D. Reichman  (Harvard)
       Pierre-Nicolas Roy  (Alberta)
       Michiel Sprik   (Cambridge University)
       Peter Tieleman  (Calgary)
       S. Wang (Michigan)
       T.B. Woolf (Johns Hopkins)

     Each session of the meeting will consist of a combination of a
number of invited lectures complemented by several oral presentations
selected from submitted abstracts.  In addition, an important
component of the conference will be two poster sessions covering all
aspects of computational chemistry. Abstracts from all sectors
including industry, academia and government are welcome.
We strongly encourage you and any interested colleague to visit
the conference web page, submit an abstract, and attend this informal,
"Gordon Conference" style meeting.

     For submission of poster abstracts please go to our website
                (http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/symposium/cccc5/)
and follow the instructions for electronic submission.

     We hope to see you there!

       The Organizing Committee:
        --------------------------

         Jeremy Schofield
         Department of Chemistry,
         University of Toronto,
         http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/staff/JMS/schofield_j.html

         John S. Tse,
         Steacie Institute for Molecular Science
         National Research Council of Canada
         http://www.sims.nrc.ca/sims/theory_e.html

         Sanjay Srivastava,
         Chemistry Department
         AstraZeneca R&D Montreal
         http://www.astrazeneca-montreal.com

         Régis Pomès
         Structural Biology & Biochemistry,
         Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto,
         http://www.sickkids.on.ca/research/custom/profiles/pomes.asp