Subject: Call for papers, MRS Fall 2003 Symposium: Fundamentals of Novel Oxide/Semiconductor Interfaces,

From: Jan Labanowski <jkl:at:ccl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:57:00 -0400 (EDT)

**************************************************************************
MRS Symposium E: Fundamentals of Novel Oxide/Semiconductor Interfaces

  December 1-5, 2003 , Boston MA

DEADLINE for on-line abstract submission: June 19, 2003
(see http://mrsfall2003.abstractcentral.com/)

Symposium Organizers

Cammy Abernathy (U. Florida), Evgeni Gusev (IBM T.J. Watson Res. Center), 
Darrell Schlom (Penn State Univ.), Susanne Stemmer (UCSB) 

The interfaces between oxides and semiconductors are important to a 
number of emerging technologies and are becoming all the more 
critical as devices scale into the nanometer regime. Concurrent with 
advances in incorporating new gate dielectrics in traditional Si 
technology, a considerable number of other applications for novel 
oxide/semiconductor interfaces are currently being considered. These 
include ferroelectric/semiconductor interfaces for novel sensors and 
oxide/compound semiconductor interfaces for field-effect transistors. 
Numerous research efforts are focused on understanding and exploiting 
the properties of novel oxide/semiconductor interfaces that fulfill 
the stringent requirements for these and other applications. The goal 
of this symposium is to bring together researchers involved with 
novel oxide/semiconductor interfaces, including, but not limited to, 
traditional Si-based devices. Of particular interest for this 
symposium are contributions on fundamental growth studies, atomic 
scale structural characterization, simulation and modeling of 
interfaces, and novel physical characterization methods of defects.

Papers are anticipated in the following areas:
7 Epitaxial growth of oxides on semiconductors (including SiGe, SiC, 
Ge, Si, GaAs, GaN) and semiconductors on oxides
7 Growth and physical characterization of alternative gate 
dielectrics for Si-based devices
7 Fundamental growth studies of amorphous and polycrystalline metal oxides
7 Atomic and electronic structure calculations of semiconductor/oxide 
interfaces
7 Experimental and theoretical studies of interfaces and defects
7 New developments in physical characterization methods for ultrathin 
oxides and interfaces
7 Novel heterostructures
7 Novel devices incorporating semiconductor/oxide interfaces
7 Chemical stability of oxide/semiconductor interfaces
7 Piezoelectric/semiconductor integration including MEMS
7 Ferroelectric/semiconductor integration including FRAMs
7 Modeling of growth and interfaces
7 Oxynitrides in combination with alternative high-k oxides

Invited speakers (partial list) include: 
Israel Baumvol (UFRGS, Brazil), Peter Bloechl (Clausthal Univ. of 
Technology, Germany),Matt Copel (IBM T.J. Watson Res. Center), Brent Gila 
(Univ. of Florida), Supratik Guha (IBM T.J. Watson Res. Center), Yong 
Liang (Motorola), T.P. Ma (Yale Univ.), Gerd Norga(IBM Z|rich, 
Switzerland), Jasprit Singh (Univ. of Michigan), Andre Stesmans (Univ. 
Leuven, Belgium), Akira Toriumi (Univ. of Tokyo, Japan), David Vanderbilt 
(Rutgers Univ.), and John Williams (Auburn Univ.)

Depending on the number of submitted abstract, we anticipate to have a 
three day Symposium from Dec. 1 (Mon.) to Dec. 3. (Wedn), 2003.  As usual, 
the fall MRS
meeting will be held in Boston, MA. The MRS Fall meeting program and 
submission information can be found at:
http://www.mrs.org/meetings/fall2003/.