Subject: RE: vmd under windows

From: noel.oboyle2..at..mail.dcu.ie
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:46:59 +0100

Hello
I understand the problem with the Windows version. It's because certain,
ah, old, programs still have problems understanding folder names containing
spaces. You have probably installed VMD into "C:\Program Files\...." but
it cannot understand the space in "Program Files" and is looking for "C:\Program".
You should uninstall it, and reinstall it into a folder called "C:\Programs"
or something like that.

Hopefully that will help

BTW, you can make even nicer pictures by rendering as a POV file. You need
to download POVRAY from the web. I have made some very nice pictures. :-)

Noel

>-- Original Message --
>From: "weiz" <weiz..at..mail.rochester.edu>
>To: johns..at..ks.uiuc.edu
>Cc: chemistry..at..ccl.net
>Subject: CCL:vmd under windows
>Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:29:02 -0400
>
>
>Dear Sir:
>
>I want to use vmd to make some pictures for my paper, but I only have
>linux and windows system.when I used vmd under linux and render the
>picture into ps format, it lost most of the fanzy effect, the picture
>looks ugly. when I switch to windows machine and render the picture to
>"snapshot", it looks very good. however, some other problems come, I
>actually have a trajectory saved in xyz format, in linux, vmd can read
all
>of them and show the movie, but under windows it can not even read one
>snapshot, the error message is 
>***********************
>Invalid switch - "tmp".
>'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable
>program or batch file.
>ERROR> Could not read file ......
>************************
>
>can you give me some hint about this?
>
>Wei