Subject: Re: CCL:vmd under windows

From: Ingo Brunberg <ib-.at.-oc30.uni-paderborn.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:23:00 +0200 (CEST)

Looks like VMD has problems with spaces in the path. I guess your VMD
installation is rooted somewhere under C:\Program Files\. Try to
install it in a location that has no whitespace in its path.

Regards,
Ingo Brunberg

> Dear Sir:
> 
> I want to use vmd to make some pictures for my paper, but I only have
> linux and windows system.when I used vmd under linux and render the
> picture into ps format, it lost most of the fanzy effect, the picture
> looks ugly. when I switch to windows machine and render the picture to
> "snapshot", it looks very good. however, some other problems come, I
> actually have a trajectory saved in xyz format, in linux, vmd can read all
> of them and show the movie, but under windows it can not even read one
> snapshot, the error message is 
> ***********************
> Invalid switch - "tmp".
> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable
> program or batch file.
> ERROR> Could not read file ......
> ************************
> 
> can you give me some hint about this?
> 
> Wei

---

From: John Stone <johns)at(ks.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:48:25 -0500

Hi,
  Do you have Babel installed on your windows machine?  The previous
versions of VMD (i.e. prior to the almost-release 1.8.1 version I'm
working on now) did not have a built-in XYZ reader, so they require the
use of Babel.  If you don't have babel installed, then you still be unable
to load your XYZ file, regardless of the issue with spaces in the filenames.
If you'd like to try the new version, let me know, it loads XYZ files 
directly without the need for babel.

Thanks,
  John Stone
  vmd)at(ks.uiuc.edu

-- 
NIH Resource for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801
Email: johns)at(ks.uiuc.edu                 Phone: 217-244-3349              
  WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/      Fax: 217-244-6078