Subject: g03 and RedHat 7.3 on Pentium

From: Bryan Putnam <bfp/at/purdue.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:26:05 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

Has anyone had success building Gaussian 03 (g03-B.03) on a Pentium II or
III, using RedHat Linux 7.3, and Portland Group compiler 4.0-2 ?

I see in the installation notes that Gaussian, Inc. says it will "NOT
work" with versions of RedHat earlier than 8.0, but I don't know if that's
the issue or not.

g03 seems to compile OK, but when the build gets to the point where the
executables are linked, for example,

pgf77   -mp  -O2 -tp p7 -Mreentrant -Mrecursive -Mnosave -Minfo \
-Mneginfo -time -fast -Munroll \
-Mvect=assoc,recog,cachesize:524288,prefetch,sse \
-fastsse -Mscalarsse -g -o g03 ml0.o   util.so   -lm -lc

I get many undefined references of the form,

/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'

I've reproduced the entire horrible list of them below. I've tried various
things, building statically, dynamically, adding additional libraries,
using the Portland version of pgcc, trying various versions of gcc, etc.,
but nothing seems to work.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan

--
   Bryan F. Putnam                http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu/~bfp/
   Young Hall                       bfp/at/purdue.edu
   ITaP Research Computing Services   http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
   151 South Grant Street               Voice: 765.496.8225
   West Lafayette, IN 47906-3560          Fax: 765.494.0566

/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'