Subject: CCL:Re: g03 and RedHat 7.3 on Pentium

From: Michel Petitjean <ptitjean-.at.-itodys.jussieu.fr>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:32:21 +0200 (MEST)

To: CCL <chemistry-.at.-ccl.net>
Subject: CCL:Re: g03 and RedHat 7.3 on Pentium

I have never installed g03, but may I suggest you to look if their
is or not accordance between the name of the routines in the
object files or libraries, and their names in the calling sequences.
For that, use the compiler flag which produces the map of the
called routines (retrieve this flag with the man f77 command), and
use the nm command to look in the object files what are the
exact names of the stored entries. If there is a difference,
either modify the sources or add interfaces to transmit arguments,
provided that you have indeed the required object files and libraries.
If there is accordance between calling names and called names,
specify full path names of every object and library in the copmil+link
command.

Michel Petitjean,                     Email: petitjean-.at.-itodys.jussieu.fr
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086)                      ptitjean-.at.-ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse                Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France.                  FAX  : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.freeware.html
...........................................................................
Bryan Putnam <bfp-.at.-purdue.edu> wrote:
Greetings,

Has anyone had success building Gaussian 03 (g03-B.03) on a Pentium II or
III, using RedHat Linux 7.3, and Portland Group compiler 4.0-2 ?

I see in the installation notes that Gaussian, Inc. says it will "NOT
work" with versions of RedHat earlier than 8.0, but I don't know if that's
the issue or not.

g03 seems to compile OK, but when the build gets to the point where the
executables are linked, for example,

pgf77   -mp  -O2 -tp p7 -Mreentrant -Mrecursive -Mnosave -Minfo \
-Mneginfo -time -fast -Munroll \
-Mvect=assoc,recog,cachesize:524288,prefetch,sse \
-fastsse -Mscalarsse -g -o g03 ml0.o   util.so   -lm -lc

I get many undefined references of the form,

/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'

I've reproduced the entire horrible list of them below. I've tried various
things, building statically, dynamically, adding additional libraries,
using the Portland version of pgcc, trying various versions of gcc, etc.,
but nothing seems to work.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan

--
   Bryan F. Putnam                http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu/~bfp/
   Young Hall                       bfp-.at.-purdue.edu
   ITaP Research Computing Services   http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
   151 South Grant Street               Voice: 765.496.8225
   West Lafayette, IN 47906-3560          Fax: 765.494.0566

/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'
/usr/pgi/linux86/lib/libpgthread.so: undefined reference to [email-masked]'