Subject: Re: CCL:insightII/discover vs CHARMM

From: "Peter Gannett" <pgannett$at$hsc.wvu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:10:11 -0400

Yao-Ying:

I am not a CHARMM user but do use a similar program - Amber.  I have
also used Insight.  There are pros/cons to either and it will depend on
your circumstances.  However, some pros/cons that come to mind are:

Insight costs a lot more than Charmm if you are at an academic
institution (ca $20,000 for Insight, less than $1000 for Charmm, last I
checked, $600).

Insight only runs in a serial environment, charm, I believe, runs in
either a serial or parallel mode.

Insight will offer tech service, charmm doesn't directly.  However, I
have not been impressed with Insight's tech service and listserves for
charmm are free and probably more helpful.

Insight has excellent graphics.

Both will solve protein/dna problems.  Which is better for either
problem is debatable.

Here's a third option to consider.  Get NAMD/VMD.  These programs will
do anything that Insight/CHARMM/Amber will do but NAMD/VMD are free.

Pete Gannett

>>> Yao-Ying Chien <chieny$at$pilot.msu.edu> 07/01/03 20:04 PM >>>
Hi,

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of insightII/discover vs CHARMM?

I have used insightII/discover, but most people here seem to use CHARMM.
Wonder if you guys can explain for me the difference, in terms of the
pro's and con's? And if any reasons I should switch to CHARMM?

URL's discussing these are appreciated too.

Thanks,

Yao 

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your
Subject: line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY$at$ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to:
CHEMISTRY-REQUEST$at$ccl.net 
HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
Jan Labanowski,  jkl$at$ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+