Subject: RE: J.PHYS.CHEM. and J.CHEM.PHYS.

From: "Shobe, Dave" <dshobe^at^sud-chemieinc.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:46:22 -0400

(1) Which type of paper does J.Phys.Chem. like ? 

(2) Which type of paper does J.Chem.Phys. like ? 

Probably the best way to answer questions like these is to browse recent
issues of the journals and see whether papers similar to yours have been
published there. You can also read the "about this journal" pages on the
journal web site. These are typically not displayed prominently on the
journal home page, so here are the descriptions for the journals in
question:

JPC:A publishes studies on molecules (dynamics, spectroscopy, gaseous
clusters, molecular beams, kinetics, atmospheric and environmental physical
chemistry, molecular structure, bonding, quantum chemistry, and general
theory). 

JPC:B publishes studies on materials (nanostructures, micelles,
macro-molecules, statistical mechanics and thermodynamics of condensed
matter, biophysical chemistry, and general physical chemistry), as well as
studies on the structure and properties of surfaces and interfaces. 

The purpose of  <http://ojps.aip.org/jcpo/> The Journal of Chemical Physics
(JCP) is to bridge a gap between journals of physics and journals of
chemistry by publishing quantitative research based on physical principles
and techniques, as applied to "chemical" systems. Just as the fields of
chemistry and physics have expanded, so have chemical physics subject areas,
which include polymers, materials, surfaces/interfaces, and biological
macromolecules, along with the traditional small molecule and condensed
phase systems. Just as the Journal must expand into new areas, some areas
once covered by the Journal will no longer be appropriate. The criteria for
whether a subject is appropriate for JCP are whether there exists a
significant number of readers that are active in the field and whether these
readers are most likely to find the manuscript if it is published in JCP. If
the bulk of the literature in a field is published in other journals with
only an occasional article in JCP, the subject is not appropriate for the
Journal even if at one time the literature on that subject appeared
primarily in JCP. 

(3) If one hesite to submit for JPC or JCP, which factor should be conidered
?

Then you should publish in Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. ;-)

--David Shobe
Sud-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724
email  dshobe "at" sud-chemieinc.com

Don't bother flaming me: I'm behind a firewall.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jiro Ueda [mailto:tatokirai^at^mx35.tiki.ne.jp]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 10:49 PM
To: chemistry^at^ccl.net
Subject: CCL:J.PHYS.CHEM. and J.CHEM.PHYS.

Hi All,
 
I am sorry for my question. I would like to ask you about submitting for
J.Phys.Chem. and J.Chem.Phys. in Computational Chemistry.
 
(1) Which type of paper does J.Phys.Chem. like ?
(2) Which type of paper does J.Chem.Phys. like ?
(3) If one hesite to submit for JPC or JCP, which factor should be conidered
?
 
Thanks,
Jiro Ueda