Subject: Re: CCL:MD in high school

From: CCL <ccl*at*kressworks.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:34:01 +0000

ArgusLab (especially v4 beta) would be an excellent tool for you to use.  It 
combines Molecular Mechanics, Quantum Chemistry, Molecule building and 
display tools (vibrations, orbitals, electrostatic potential, etc) in an 
outstanding tool that would be (almost) perfect for your use - it runs on 
Windows.  

There is no better tool in this field of study. It would be worth your while 
to use a Windows machine just so you can use this excellent software.

Look here  http://www.arguslab.com/

Jim

On Friday 03 October 2003 03:44 pm, you wrote:
> My local high school wants to add some computers to its chemistry program. 
> The current intent is to buy several Apple  laptops.  I talked to the
> chemistry teacher this morning about adding a computational chemistry
> component, and particularly MD visualization, to the curriculum.  We are
> close to the San Diego Supercomputer Center and all of the biotech around
> Scripps Research Institute, so there is a lot of local talent to draw on. 
> The school board wants to see a committee formed to present justification
> for the purchase.
>
> I am a physicist/EE and only tangentially involved in CC. I've shown IR
> mode simulations to kids as young as 11 with apparently good comprehension
> when presented side by side with plastic ball and stick models.  What I
> need from CCL is concise statements of tools that you use now that would
> have greatly enhanced your high school chemistry experience.  Any examples
> of CC resources being used in high schools would also be useful. 
> Everything from pdb viewers up is fair game.
>
>
>
> -= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
> To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject:
> line and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY*at*ccl.net
>
> Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to:
> CHEMISTRY-REQUEST*at*ccl.net HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page:
> http://www.ccl.net/jobs
>
> If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
> Jan Labanowski,  jkl*at*ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: Sudhakar Pamidighantam <spamidig*at*ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:15:14 -0500

Did you notice http://chemviz.ncsa.uiuc.edu where there is a host 
curricular units for high school chemistry through computation.

Sudhakar.
At 08:44 AM 10/3/2003 -0700, Ray Merewether wrote:
>My local high school wants to add some computers to its chemistry 
>program.  The current intent is to buy several Apple  laptops.  I talked 
>to the chemistry teacher this morning about adding a computational 
>chemistry component, and particularly MD visualization, to the 
>curriculum.  We are close to the San Diego Supercomputer Center and all of 
>the biotech around Scripps Research Institute, so there is a lot of local 
>talent to draw on.  The school board wants to see a committee formed to 
>present justification for the purchase.
>
>of CC resources being used in high schools would also be 
>useful.  Everything from pdb viewers up is fair game.
>
>
>
>To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
>and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY*at*ccl.net
>
>Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST*at*ccl.net
>HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs
>