Subject: CCL:PhD and Deep Questions

From: Anton Feenstra <feenstra~at~chem.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:18:06 +0200

Hi,

I'd just like to add that after reading these, shall I say philosophical,
exchanges on Philosophy, I find the other postings on the list awfully
mundane, like: "Error linking DL_POLY", or "Autodock output file format"...

Let's not forget that these extremely specialized bits of knowledge only
make sense in the larger context of our common quest for Knowledge!

-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _____________ _______________________________________________________
|             |                                                       |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra                                     |
| / \ / \'| | | Dept. of Pharmacochem. - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands   |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610           |
|             | Feenstra~at~chem.vu.nl - www.chem.vu.nl/~feenstra/       |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"           |
|             | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                               |
|_____________|_______________________________________________________|

---

From: "Pradyumna S. Singh" <pradyu~at~chem.udel.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:56:54 -0400

> 
> By the way, there is a recent (1999), beautifully-written book by Prof.
> E. O. Wilson, entitled Consilience, that addresses precisely this
> question of "the unity of knowledge."

Ohh and btw, there is a fabulous critique of that book by the American
poet Wendell Berry in his book, "Life is a Miracle" ! Be sure to check it
out as well.

Pradyumna