Subject: Re: Advertising

From: "Dr. Jan K Labanowski" <jkl-.at.-ccl.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:25:45 -0400 (EDT)

> Is it just me, or do others agree that commercial advertising such as recent
> postings from David Gallagher have no place on CCL?

The rules of CCL commercial advertizing are as follows:
-----------------------------
http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/aboutccl/rules/index.shtml

Commercial Announcements

 If you wish to submit a commercial announcement to the list, please respect
 the following rules:

  Be brief -- Short (25 lines or less) commercial postings are allowed of
  they are relevant to CCL community.

  Be straightforward -- The subject line should be straightforward.

  No reposting -- Reposts of software announcements are not permitted
  unless new features/releases become available.

  No "vaporware" -- Announcements of "vaporware" (software that is
  not yet working/available), and invitations to expositions and trade
                      shows at meetings are not allowed.

  No job advertisements (to list)
-----------------------------

The rules (as many other things in life) are a compromise at which
we arrived early in the list operation.
My personal thinking is that commercial software is commonly used
by computational chemists, and some important announcements should
reach the CCL. Availability of new products and a short summary of their
capabilities should be welcome. At the same time, I would not like to see
price incentives discussed on CCL.

Jan

Jan K. Labanowski         |  phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center |  E-mail: jkl-.at.-ccl.net
1224 Kinnear Rd,          |  http://www.ccl.net/~jkl
Columbus, OH 43212-1163   |  http://www.ccl.net/    http://asdn.net/