Subject: G98 and the 2 GB limit in Linux

From: Reinaldo Pis Diez <pis_diez/at/quimica.unlp.edu.ar>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:57:57 -0300

Dear folks,

		I've just (re)installed the RedHat 9 Linux distribution in our modest 
cluster using the SGI XFS installer cd to have the filesystems supporting 
files larger than the well-known 2 GB limit.
		A small test program (it writes the elements of a huge vector to a disk 
file) generates a ca. 2.7 GB file without crashing. I compiled the program 
with the 3.2.2 version of gcc.
		Unfortunately, when I tried a Gaussian98 job (a ccsd(t) geometry 
optimization on water using a cc-pvqz basis) to further test our XFS 
filesystem, it crashed when the rwf scratch file achieves a size of 2 GB. I 
must say that we only have the binaries of G98, Rev A.9, not compiled by us.
		Now the question: Is there any intrinsic limitation to 2 GB files in 
Gaussian98 running under Linux? Why a simple test program runs well but G98 
fails against SGI XFS Linux?
		Thanks in advance.
		Regards,

									Reinaldo