Subject: RE: A note of disappointment

From: "Ihlenfeldt, Wolf D." <wdi/at/nuadapharma.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:02:28 -0500

This information is correct. Actually, it does not only affect ACS, but
*ALL* US scientific societies with a publishing branch. ACS is not the
first to suffer - it all started with the IEEE:
 
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/oct03/1003ofac.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Gannett [mailto:pgannett/at/hsc.wvu.edu] 
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 1:47 PM
To: chemistry/at/ccl.net; padrongj/at/fq.uh.cu
Subject: CCL:A note of disappointment

List:

Pardon my doubting Thomas nature.  Can anyone confirm this.  I have no
doubt that the current gov't of the US might pull something like this
and, unfortunately, I can figure out the reasons why the ACS might bow
to the demand.  However, this would truly be a black mark against ACS. 

Thanks.

Pete Gannett

>>> Juan Alexander Padron <padrongj/at/fq.uh.cu> 12/04/03 10:28AM >>>
Dear CCL list:

I am reluctant to use this list for any reason that differs from
scientific exchange, but I feel that all my colleagues must be aware of
the recent news regarding to my country.

It have came to me the horrendous information that the ACS, compelled by
the US government, has forbidden to authors of (by this precise order)
Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, or Sudan  to publish on their journals. This,
> from my point of view, is the ultimate violation of the rights of
the
people that devote their life to the development of science. No
political reasons are valid to exclude anyone from the scientific
community, mostly if those are from third developed countries who are
the ones who required all the help that they can get. In the case of my
country they are no reason to declare such blockade, cause we are not a
thread to anyone: instead of this they are thousands of Cubans in a lot
of countries helping in fields like health care, agriculture, education
and many others that are vital. My country is also the place of birth of
lots of prestigious scientist like Tomas Romaig, Felipe Poey, Carlos J.
Finlay, Pedro Kourm, and many others that have make serious advances in
different fields of knowledge. This is a dark precedent to the new
generation of researches in my country, that sincerely appreciate the
tremendous scientific capacities of the American science, and once again
must feel excluded without reason. Be then this mail a note of
disappointment and protest.

Best Regards,
--
&///////////////////////////////////////////////////
&Juan Alexander Padrsn-Garcma
&Researcher, PhD Student
&Laboratory of Computational & Theoretical Chemistry, &Chemistry Faculty
Havana University, Cuba &padrongj/at/fq.uh.cu, alex2473/at/yahoo.es 
&http://www.fq.uh.cu/investigacion/lqct  ____________
/////////////////////////////////////////

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script
=-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your
Subject: line

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to:
CHEMISTRY-REQUEST/at/ccl.net 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the
maintainer:

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your
Subject: line and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY/at/ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to:
CHEMISTRY-REQUEST/at/ccl.net 
HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
Jan Labanowski,  jkl/at/ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: "Shobe, David" <dshobe/at/sud-chemieinc.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:47:19 -0500

***********************
Your mail has been scanned for SPAM by SpamAssassin and for Virus by InterScan MSS.
Questions about SpamAssassin and Interscan MSS should be directed to postmaster/at/sud-chemieinc.com
***********************

If the U.S. State Department decides that this is the law, the American Chemical Society has no choice, other than to disobey and have everyone there sent to jail (or Guantanamo? ;-), or to pull up stakes and move to another country and hire only non-US-citizens.

So, don't blame the ACS. 

--David Shobe, Ph.D., M.L.S.
S|d-Chemie, Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax (502) 634-7724

Don't bother flaming me: I'm behind a firewall.

-----Original Message-----
From: Computational Chemistry List [mailto:chemistry-request/at/ccl.net]On
Behalf Of Peter Gannett
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 1:47 PM
To: chemistry/at/ccl.net; padrongj/at/fq.uh.cu
Subject: CCL:A note of disappointment

***********************
Your mail has been scanned for SPAM by SpamAssassin and for Virus by InterScan MSS.
Questions about SpamAssassin and Interscan MSS should be directed to postmaster/at/sud-chemieinc.com
***********************

List:

Thanks.

Pete Gannett

Dear CCL list:

I am reluctant to use this list for any reason that differs from
scientific exchange, but I feel that all my colleagues must be aware
of
the recent news regarding to my country.

It have came to me the horrendous information that the ACS, compelled
by
the US government, has forbidden to authors of (by this precise order)
 Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, or Sudan  to publish on their journals.
This,
the
people that devote their life to the development of science. No
political reasons are valid to exclude anyone from the scientific
community, mostly if those are from third developed countries who are
the ones who required all the help that they can get. In the case of
my
country they are no reason to declare such blockade, cause we are not
a
thread to anyone: instead of this they are thousands of Cubans in a
lot
of countries helping in fields like health care, agriculture,
education
and many others that are vital. My country is also the place of birth
of
lots of prestigious scientist like Tomas Romaig, Felipe Poey, Carlos
J.
Finlay, Pedro Kourm, and many others that have make serious advances
in
different fields of knowledge. This is a dark precedent to the new
generation of researches in my country, that sincerely appreciate the
tremendous scientific capacities of the American science, and once
again
must feel excluded without reason. Be then this mail a note of
disappointment and protest.

Best Regards,
--
&///////////////////////////////////////////////////
&Juan Alexander Padrsn-Garcma
&Researcher, PhD Student
&Laboratory of Computational & Theoretical Chemistry,
&Chemistry Faculty Havana University, Cuba
&padrongj/at/fq.uh.cu, alex2473/at/yahoo.es
&http://www.fq.uh.cu/investigacion/lqct  ____________
/////////////////////////////////////////

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY/at/ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST/at/ccl.net
HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs