Subject: A note of disappointment

From: Juan Alexander Padron <padrongj:at:fq.uh.cu>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:28:58 -0600

Dear CCL list:

I am reluctant to use this list for any reason that differs from
scientific exchange, but I feel that all my colleagues must be aware of
the recent news regarding to my country.

It have came to me the horrendous information that the ACS, compelled by
the US government, has forbidden to authors of (by this precise order)
 Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, or Sudan  to publish on their journals. This,
> from my point of view, is the ultimate violation of the rights of the
people that devote their life to the development of science. No
political reasons are valid to exclude anyone from the scientific
community, mostly if those are from third developed countries who are
the ones who required all the help that they can get. In the case of my
country they are no reason to declare such blockade, cause we are not a
thread to anyone: instead of this they are thousands of Cubans in a lot
of countries helping in fields like health care, agriculture, education
and many others that are vital. My country is also the place of birth of
lots of prestigious scientist like Tomas Romaig, Felipe Poey, Carlos J.
Finlay, Pedro Kourm, and many others that have make serious advances in
different fields of knowledge. This is a dark precedent to the new
generation of researches in my country, that sincerely appreciate the
tremendous scientific capacities of the American science, and once again
must feel excluded without reason. Be then this mail a note of
disappointment and protest.

Best Regards,
--
&///////////////////////////////////////////////////
&Juan Alexander Padrsn-Garcma
&Researcher, PhD Student
&Laboratory of Computational & Theoretical Chemistry,
&Chemistry Faculty Havana University, Cuba
&padrongj:at:fq.uh.cu, alex2473:at:yahoo.es
&http://www.fq.uh.cu/investigacion/lqct  ____________
/////////////////////////////////////////

---

From: Jim Phillips <jim:at:ks.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:22:09 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

While I understand your reaction to being excluded from ACS journals, I
would suggest that you should avoid ACS publications anyway due to their
restrictive copyright policy that prevents authors from posting their own
publications on their own websites.  The APS is much more liberal, as is
the completely free http://www.plos.org/ effort.

-Jim

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Juan Alexander Padron wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
> To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
> and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY:at:ccl.net
>
> Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST:at:ccl.net
> HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs
>
> If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
> Jan Labanowski,  jkl:at:ccl.net (read about it on CCL Home Page)
> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>
>
>
>