Subject: IA64/Rocks/Gaussian 03 - Any experience/comments?

From: "Jim Pfaendtner" <pfaendtner=at=northwestern.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:28:33 -0600

Hi,
 
We are considering adding a cluster which would be based on Itanium
processes running the latest Rocks distribution and Gaussian 03.  Does
anyone have any experience with such a cluster.  I have heard that Rocks
3.0.0 is unstable with the ia64 distribution.
 
Thanks for any comments!
 
Jim

---

From: Laura Brovold <brovold..at..sdsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:19:17 -0800

Greetings

I've run GAMESS (US) computations on several x86-based Rocks clusters and
have been extremely pleased with the systems. With that said, I don't have
any direct experience with itanium-based rocks clusters, but their 'Rocks
register' web page indicates there are a handful of itanium-based Rocks
clusters up and running:

http://www.rocksclusters.org/rocks-register/index.php?sortby=CPUType&sortorder=up

Additionally, from their discussion list, I have not read any messages
that indicate the above clusters are unstable.

It appears there will be a new release of Rocks soon (I
believe by the beginning of next week) for x86, itanium and opteron
clusters that will be based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.

Best Regards,
Laura Gregerson

> 3.0.0 is unstable with the ia64 distribution.

-----------------------------------------
Laura Gregerson (Brovold)
UCSD/SDSC MC-0505
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92093-0505
phone:(858)534-5007
http://www.sdsc.edu/~lgregers/laura.html
-----------------------------------------