Subject: Re: CCL:3D Iso-valued Surfaces

From: Szieberth Denes <dino*at*iris.inc.bme.hu>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:43:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Rick Venable wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good freeware graphics program for Linux or IRIX
> that can render iso-valued surfaces from a 3D grid dataset?  I'm looking
> for something with a well documented input data format.  I'd considered
> a QM orbital viewer, but my data units are quite a bit different.
>

Hi,
www.opendx.org.
regards
Denes

---

From: Serguei Patchkovskii <ps..at..ned.sims.nrc.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:47:24 -0400 (EDT)

> a QM orbital viewer, but my data units are quite a bit different.

OpenDX. http://www.opendx.org/

It can handle arbitrary grids (not just uniformly spaced grids), periodic
boundaries, both scalar and vector fields (tensor fields are possible as
well - but the display gets a little cluttered). It can handle
transparency and volumetric rendering as well. You also get very
detailed control over exactly what gets rendered, and how. The input
format is very well documented, too - both for static data sets, and for
run-time, dynamic data exchange.

Just to give you an idea, the attached picture (which is an isosurface)
has been prepared with OpenDX.

Serguei