Subject: Experiences with 64 bits AMD processors

From: Marc Noguera Julian <marc_at_klingon.uab.es>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:09:00 +0200

Hello,
we  are interested in buying some more computational resources. In our 
group we are interested in 64 bit AMD processors, but we do not know 
about their compatibility. They are supposed, as AMD says,  to be32 bit 
compatible and therefore AMD 64 bit processor should be able to run any 
32 bit application. Is that true? Any experience about this will help us 
a lot.
By the way, we are running mainly gaussian jobs, and have some other 32 
bit binaries like turbomole and jaguar. We have source code license for 
gaussian 03. Has anyone tried to compile Gaussian 03 for a AMD 64 bit 
machine? Do 32 bit pentium binaries run correctly on a 64 bit processor? 
which is the increase on the performance? Do Turbomole and Jaguar 
binaries run on 64 bit AMD processors? anyone tried?
Any information will be helpful.
Thanks a lot
Marc

---------------------------
Marc Noguera Julian
Thcnic Especialista de Suport a la Recerca
Qummica Fisica, Universitat Autrnoma de Barcelona.
Tlf: 00-34-935812173
Fax: 00-34-935812920
e-mail: marc_at_klingon.uab.es
---------------------------------------