Subject: Re: [Beowulf] CCL:Experiences with 64 bits AMD processors (fwd from marc.-at-.klingon.uab.es)

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17.-at-.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 at 6:21am, Eugen Leitl wrote

> ----- Forwarded message from Marc Noguera Julian <marc.-at-.klingon.uab.es> -----
> 
> From: Marc Noguera Julian <marc.-at-.klingon.uab.es>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:09:00 +0200
> To: chemistry.-at-.ccl.net
> Subject: CCL:Experiences with 64 bits AMD processors
> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
> 
> Hello,
> we  are interested in buying some more computational resources. In our 
> group we are interested in 64 bit AMD processors, but we do not know 
> about their compatibility. They are supposed, as AMD says,  to be32 bit 
> compatible and therefore AMD 64 bit processor should be able to run any 
> 32 bit application. Is that true? Any experience about this will help us 
> a lot.

I have several Opterons running RHEL 3 WS for AMD64, and I run a mix of 32 
and 64bit apps on them with no problem.  For commercial codes, this 
includes Matlab (32bit) and LS-DYNA (I've run both 32 and 64bit versions 
of this).  It just works, and the chips are quite fast.

-- 
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Duke University