Subject: open-new-file problem with Gaussian

From: Shaji Chempath <shaji<<at>>berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:13:12 -0700

Hi, CCLers

I am running my gaussian jobs an a cluster (g03 on Linux 2.4.18-14smp)
many of my runs now are stopping with open-new-file written at the end 
of file.

A sample of gaussian output is given here (last two lines)
-------------------------------------------------
fname=/scr/shaji/Gau-29993.d2e fd = -1

open-new-file
-------------------------------------------------

but this happens with almost 50% of my gaussian jobs, with all kinds of 
runs (optimization, frequency... ). They usually runs for a day and then 
dies. This did not use to happen before. I have been using G03 for 6 
months, but the problems started last month. So it is not something with 
gaussian itself, but maybe something to do with NFS file handling, or 
something else with the linux cluster..

If anybody has seen this before and solved it please let me know

Thanks a lot

Shaji