Subject: CCL:binding energy of Zn2+ ligands - SUMMARY

From: Oliver Hucke <ohucke<<at>>u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:31:54 -0700

Dear CCL'ers,

some time ago I sent the request shown below concerning the influence of 
ligand basicity on the binding affinity to a zinc ion.

I received two replies pointing me to interesting papers.
Many thanks to Ida Ma and Miquel Sola!

Oliver

-----------------------my request-------------------------------------
> I am looking for literature describing the influence of the basicity of 
> metal ion ligands (ideally Zn2+ ligands) on the binding energy.
> 
> For example, I would expect the binding energy for an imidazole to be 
> more favorable than for an imidazole with an electron withdrawing 
> substituent, let's say an -SO2-group.
> 
> Can somebody point me to articles on this matter?
> 
----------------------the replies-------------------------------------

   Our group has been working on the gas phase cation-ligand affinities 
(both expt and theory), in particular for K+ and Ag+, and recently 
published a paper for potassium cation affinities in Chem. Eur. J. 2003, 
9, 3383 - 3396, which maybe of interest to you.

   For Zn2+, Ohanessian and Hoppillard been working on the it but I 
think the focus is more on amino acids currently, rather than small 
model organic ligands.  For general cation-ligand interaction, pls 
consult work from Peter Armentrout and Mary Rodger's group.  Their work, 
and some other key references in the area, can be found in the reference 
section in the our paper above.

---

You may find interesting the following papers:

M. Sol`, A. Lledss, M. Duran and J. Bertran, Inorg. Chem. 30 (1991) 
2523-2527.
M. Sol`, J. L. Andris, M. Duran, A. Lledss and J. Bertran, Theor. Chim. 
Acta 91 (1995) 333-351

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
_______________________________________________________________

Oliver Hucke, Dr.
                               Health Sciences Building - K418C
University of Washington      1959 NE Pacific St.
Dept. of Biochemistry         phone: (206) 685 7046
Box 357742                    fax  : (206) 685 7002
Seattle, WA 98195-7742        email: ohucke<<at>>u.washington.edu
_______________________________________________________________