Subject: Call for papers - Applications of Information Theory in Chemistry .

From: "Shanmugasundaram, Veerabahu" <veerabahu.shanmugasundaram|at|pfizer.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:42:35 -0400

229th National Spring ACS Meeting, San Diego, CA (March 13-17, 2005)

Applications of Information Theory in Chemistry
        
Co-sponsored by Chemical Information (CINF) & Computers in Chemistry (COMP)
Divisions 
 
We invite you to submit an abstract for the symposium titled Applications of
Information Theory in Chemistry at the upcoming Spring ACS National Meeting
in San Diego. 

In 1948 Claude Shannon introduced a theory of communication, later known as
the information theory, for measuring the transmission of information from a
sender to a receiver across a noisy channel. This seminal work initially led
to the development of an area of active research, primarily amongst
mathematicians and engineers. However, more recently, a number of
publications have appeared in the chemical and biological literature
covering a wide range of applications, which include (but are not limited
to) -

1. Origins of life and the evolution of biological information
2. Protein structure prediction and analysis of conformational ensembles of
macromolecules
3. Discovery of DNA motifs, sequence analysis, target identification
4. Sensory coding neurons to understand their neurological functions
5. Analysis of descriptors, similarity and diversity of molecules and
chemical libraries
6. Feature selection, QSAR and QSPR methods
7. Virtual screening applications and combinatorial library design
8. Analytical methods such as chromatography, proteomic gels
9. Experimental design and exploratory data analysis

We plan to bring together a diverse group of researchers and scientists who
have thought about and applied information theoretic principles to a variety
of different chemical and biological problems. This will be an
invited/contributed symposium.

Please use the on-line abstract submission system (OASYS) for submitting
your abstract (<http://oasys.acs.org/oasys.htm>) as per ACS guidelines.
Submissions can be made through the CINF (for cheminformatic applications)
or COMP (for computational chemistry applications) Divisions. The deadline
for submitting abstracts for CINF is November 23, 2004 and for COMP is
November 5, 2004.

We also request that contributing authors (not invited authors) submit via
email to us, an extended 1000-word abstract (in addition to the OASYS
submission) with any references to their work, as the number of open
positions are limited.

Thank you,
Veer & Gerry.

Symposium co-chairs:

Veerabahu Shanmugasundaram, Ph.D.
Computer-Assisted Drug Discovery
Pfizer Global Research & Development 
2800 Plymouth Road 
Ann Arbor, MI 48105 
Tel: (734) 622-7131
Fax : (734) 622-2782 
Email: Veerabahu.Shanmugasundaram|at|pfizer.com

Gerald M. Maggiora, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicinal Chemistry
Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology
University of Arizona College of Pharmacy
1703 E. Mabel, P.O. Box 210207
Tucson AZ 85721-0207 USA
(520) 626-5905 (Phone)
maggiora|at|pharmacy.arizona.edu

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.