Subject: RE: How do you organize your *.pdf files?

From: "Matthew Sundling" <sundlm{at}rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:37:16 -0400

Hello,

A similar program to Quaneko is dtSearch.  I've been using it for a year,
and been happy.  It also uses Adobe reader to view the files when 'clicked'
on.  
 
My $0.02.

Matt S.

-----Original Message-----
From: Computational Chemistry List [mailto:chemistry-request{at}ccl.net] On
Behalf Of Daniel Svozil
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 1:33 PM
To: chemistry{at}ccl.net
Subject: CCL:How do you organize your *.pdf files?

Hi all,

though my posting is not only computational chemistry related, I think the
discussion may be of general interest.

I would like to know, if there is any free linux solution that would help
in organizing pdf files with the articles downloaded from the web. I was
looking for some application/script, but I didn't find anything.

My question is, if it is possible to build a database (e.g. BibTeX) of pdf
files (articles) that would include information such as title, author,
journal, abstract etc. + path to the pdf file taken automatically from
*.pdf. It seems to me, that thi is may be even not possible, as pdf format
is not a markup language (as XML) and is not suitable to such a task.
Maybe the best way would be to convert pdf to text (pdftotext in Linux),
and than to parse the text file for the information. But such a script
would be very complicated, as format of text data differs journal from
journal, and many possibilities would have to be taken into account.

I found one free application that makes life with my pdf mess much easier,
it is called Quaneko (http://quaneko.sourceforge.net/), and it is
available both for Linux and Windows. What Quaneko does it takes pdf by
pdf, converts them to text files, and than indexes those, so one can
easily query information using keywords and logical expressions. The
possibility to view a text preview or full pdf by acroread is also
avilable. Quaneko proved to be very useful and I rely on it quite heavy.

And what is the way you organize your pdf articles in computer?

Thanks in advance
  Dan

  P.S.; Please, post your responses to the list, so the whole community
can benefit from them.

-- 
Daniel Svozil, PhD
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry
and Center for Complex Molecular Systems and Biomolecules
http://www.molecular.cz/
Czech Republic

phone: +420-220 410 312

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject:
line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY{at}ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST{at}ccl.net

HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
Jan Labanowski,  jlabanow{at}nd.edu (read about it on CCL Home Page)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.775 / Virus Database: 522 - Release Date: 10/8/2004

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.775 / Virus Database: 522 - Release Date: 10/8/2004

---

From: Douglas Sievers <dsievers_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:47:22 -0700

Hi Daniel,

I think in theory you could use DOI's, short for Digital Object 
Identifier. At  www.doi.org, there is a DOI resolver, that you can enter 
a DOI and it will direct you to that document. The pdf's could be saved 
with the DOI in the file name.

Supposedly, you can do a "reverse DOI lookup" to obtain the metadata, 
which is in XML format, and that could be used to create a local 
database. Unfortunately, the only reverse lookup engine that I could 
find is at www.CrossRef.org, which appears to require a subscription. 
There may be alternatives... but I don't have the time right now to 
search. Just thought I would throw the idea out there no less.

Doug