Subject: posting - Patterson-Crane Award call for nominations

From: Melinda Greer <greermd.-at-.ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:57:34 -0500

Can the announcement below be posted on the listserv?

Thanks.

Melinda Greer, Ph.D.
ACS, Dayton Section
Chair, Patterson-Crane Award Committee

Call for Nominations: The Patterson-Crane Award
The Dayton and Columbus Sections of the American Chemical Society sponsor 
the Patterson-Crane Award for contributions to chemical information. It is 
international in scope and given in honor of two outstanding members of the 
Sections: Austin M. Patterson (1876–1956) and E.J. Crane (1889–1966).  The 
biennial award consists of a $2,000 honorarium and a personalized 
commendation.  The award is funded by a bequest of the Patterson family to 
the Dayton Section, by the Helen G. Crane Fund of the Columbus Foundation, 
and by the Patterson-Crane Award Fund of the Columbus Section.

The Austin M. Patterson Award was established in 1949 by the Dayton Section 
to acknowledge meritorious contributions in the field of chemical 
literature and especially documentation of chemistry.  Dr. Patterson, the 
first recipient of the biennial award, was recognized for his leadership in 
organic chemical nomenclature and his work as editor of Chemical 
Abstracts.  There were 13 additional recipients of this award, including 
E.J. Crane, who was editor of Chemical Abstracts from 
1915–1958.  Subsequently, there was a desire to honor and establish an 
award in his memory. In February 1975 the ACS Board of Directors accepted a 
proposal by the Dayton and Columbus Sections for a jointly sponsored 
Patterson-Crane Award.

Award Criteria
Nominees, who need not hold ACS membership, should demonstrate outstanding 
achievement in the field of chemical information science.  Contributions of 
international significance may relate to:
·        Design, development, production, or management of chemical 
information systems or services.
·        Electronic access to and retrieval of chemical information; 
critically evaluated data compilations.
·        Information technology applications in chemistry or other 
significant chemical documentation, including production of original works, 
editorial work, or chemical library work.

Nominations for the award must be in writing and should discuss the 
nominee's contributions to the field as well as an evaluation of 
accomplishments.  Materials supporting the nomination should include a 
biography and bibliography of publications and presentations.  Seconding 
letters are required.

Send one copy of the nomination materials to Dr. Melinda Greer, Chair of 
the Patterson-Crane Award Committee, (Raymond Walters College, 9555 
Plainfield Road, Cincinnati, OH 45236) for receipt by 31 January 2005.  To 
receive an informative brochure about the award, contact Dr. Greer 
(513-936-7165 or melinda.greer.-at-.uc.edu).

Nominations will be judged by a seven-member selection committee consisting 
of Dayton and Columbus Section members as well as the Chair of the American 
Chemical Society's Division of Chemical Information.

The 2005 Patterson-Crane Award will be presented in the Spring of 2005 at 
an awards dinner to be held in Dayton, Ohio.