Subject: [alife] CFP - ECAL WORKSHOP - Artificial Chemistry and Its Applications (fwd from hsuzuki<<at>>atr.jp)

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen<<at>>leitl.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:37:24 +0100

----- Forwarded message from Hideaki Suzuki <hsuzuki<<at>>atr.jp> -----

From: Hideaki Suzuki <hsuzuki<<at>>atr.jp>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:04:10 +0900
To: alife-announce<<at>>lists.idyll.org,
	genetic_programming<<at>>yahoogroups.com
Subject: [alife] CFP - ECAL WORKSHOP - Artificial Chemistry and Its
	Applications
Organization: ATR
X-Mailer: Sylpheed version 0.8.5 (GTK+ 1.2.10; i386-vine-linux)

--------------------------------------------------------------
    *** Apologies for cross-postings. Please circulate. ***
--------------------------------------------------------------

                    Call for Papers:

WORKSHOP on Artificial Chemistry and Its Applications (ACA)

              Submission deadline: May 27th 2005

                      Organized by

Hideaki SUZUKI (ATR Network Informatics Laboratories, JAPAN)
Tim HUTTON (University College London, UK)
Jian-Qin LIU (ATR Network Informatics Laboratories, JAPAN)

Part of ECAL 2005 - 8th European Conference on Artificial Life
          Monday 5th to Friday 9th September 2005
          University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent (UK)

* AIMS AND SCOPE

As a promising branch of artificial life, artificial
chemistry has been extended into a broad domain that
includes the studies on theories, models, algorithms and
applications. Using a strong comparison to biochemical
reactions in living cells, artificial chemistry provides a
powerful method to study why and how complex living
creatures have evolved on the earth, and at the same time
provides a nice workbench on which we can deepen an
understanding of:

(a) emergence -- in the sense of artificial life,
(b) complexity -- in the sense of non-linear complex
systems,
(c) evolvability -- in the sense of generalized evolution
for biologically inspired information processing systems,
and
(d) network -- in the sense of complex systems for
artificial life.

Following the success of the previous workshops held in
conjunction with ECAL2003 at Dortmund and with ALIFE9 at
Boston, this workshop will be arranged as a place for
concise tutorials of established works that present
particular uses of artificial chemistry, and for active
discussion on new progress in the field of artificial
chemistry.

This workshop is seeking the submission on the following
aspects but not limited to:

- Modeling molecular interactions and chemical processes
- Simulating the chemical evolution of life
- Catalysis and auto-catalysis
- Self-replication and von Neumann machines
- Origin of information and translation
- Requirements for the evolutionary growth of complexity
- Self-organization
- Self-assembly in nanotechnology and abstract systems
- Membranes and cellular structure
- Membrane computing (P-systems)
- Co-evolution and evolvability
- Enzymes and chemical engineering
- Experimental technology for artificial life
- Biophysics and simulation
- Networks
- Hybrid systems
- Applications of AC approaches to parallel computation, etc.

* IMPORTANT DATES

Paper submission in PDF : May 27th 2005
Acceptance notices : June 10th 2005
Camera-ready submission in PDF : June 24nd 2005

* SUBMISSION

Original papers in English are welcome for submission.

Papers should follow the ECAL style, be formatted in PDF,
and be directly emailed to <hsuzuki<<at>>atr.jp> no later than
the deadline shown above.

Papers should be limited to twelve pages, but ten pages are
preferable.

* REVIEW AND PUBLICATION

All submitted papers are reviewed by at least 2 independent
reviewers using the ECAL review form, and accepted papers
will be included in the workshop proceedings that will be
published in the form of a CD-ROM.

Also, all accepted papers are encouraged to be extended,
revised, and submitted to a special issue on artificial
chemistry, which is scheduled to be published in Artificial
Life Journal, MIT Press. More detailed announcement will be
made after the workshop.

* PROGRAM COMMITTEE (Tentative; in alphabetical order)

Dominique Chu (University of Birmingham, UK)
Peter Dittrich (University of Jena, Germany)
Rudolf Freund (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
Tim Hutton (University College London, UK)
Christian Jacob (University of Calgary, Canada)
Jian-Qin Liu (ATR, Japan)
Duraid Madina (University of New South Wales, Australia)
Naoaki Ono (ATR, Japan)
Hiroki Sayama (University of Electro-Communications, Japan)
Moshe Sipper (Ben-Gurion University, Israel)
Pietro Speroni di Fenizio (University of Jena, Germany)
Peter F. Stadler (University of Leipzig, Germany)
Hideaki Suzuki (ATR, JAPAN)
Yasuhiro Suzuki (Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan)