Subject: Re: CCL:[Re]: orbitals and reality

From: konrad.hinsen:at:laposte.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:46:37 +0100

On 25.01.2005, at 11:24, Valentina VETERE wrote:

> Nevertheless, there is still something not clear in my mind. My point  
> is that since my first lessons on quantum mechanics I belief that all  
> the equations (not excluding Schrodinger or Dirac) were models of a  
> more complex reality that none can describe for instance with numbers.  
> Is this true?

That's my view as well and I have had the same sense of bewilderment  
reading the recent discussion. For me the question is not if orbitals  
are "real" but if they are useful in understanding molecules. But the  
same comment applies to electrons and nuclei.
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France
Tel.: +33-1 69 08 79 25
Fax: +33-1 69 08 82 61
E-Mail: khinsen:at:cea.fr
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
-------