Subject: "Hands-On" Workshop on Computational Biophysics - San Francisco

From: David Brandon <brandon +*+ ks.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:02:46 -0600

"Hands-On" Workshop on Computational Biophysics

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/SanFrancisco/

Application Deadline: April 14, 2005

The Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, an NIH Resource for 
Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics (www.ks.uiuc.edu 
<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu>) at the University of Illinois at 
Urbana-Champaign (www.uiuc.edu <http://www.uiuc.edu>), will organize a

"'Hands-On' Workshop on Computational Biophysics"

to be held June 26 to June 30, 2005 at The Club Quarters Hotel   San 
Francisco, San Francisco, California. The workshop will explore a wide 
range of physical models and computational approaches for the simulation 
of biological systems.

The workshop will be based on case studies including the properties of 
membranes and membrane proteins, mechanism of molecular motors, 
trafficking in the living cell through water and ion channels, and 
signaling pathways. Physical concepts, mathematical techniques, and 
computational methods required will be introduced, including force 
fields and algorithms used in molecular modeling, molecular dynamics 
simulations on parallel computers, steered molecular dynamics 
simulations, and combined quantum mechanical - molecular mechanical 
calculations

The workshop is designed for graduate students and postdoctoral 
researchers in computational and/or biophysical fields who seek to 
extend their research skills to include computational and theoretical 
expertise, as well as other researchers interested in theoretical and 
computational biophysics. Theory sessions in the morning will be 
followed by hands-on computer labs in the afternoon in which 
participants will be able to set up and run simulations.

Applications to the workshop are due by April 14, 2005. Selection and 
notification of participants from the application pool will be completed 
by April 21. Those selected to attend must register and pay a workshop 
fee by April 29, 2005. The base registration fee is $150 for students, 
$210 for non-student academics, and $285 for all other applicants. 
Housing and course materials are included in the fee.

Due to space and equipment constraints, the workshop is limited to 20 
participants. For further information, and online application, go to 
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/SanFrancisco/ . Additional 
workshops are planned for May 23-27, 2005 in Tahoe City, California 
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/Granlibakken/) and June 9-13, 
2005 in Chicago, Illinois 
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Workshop/Chicago/). We look forward to 
receiving your application. Please note that we cannot help with travel 
expenses or arrangements.

Workshop Organizers
E-mail: workshop+sanfrancisco +*+ ks.uiuc.edu