Subject: CCL:Re:Sharing files between Linix and Windows partitions

From: "Dimitrios Vlachakis" <vlachakisd1 * Cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:26:23 +0000

Dear Narasinga,

> From linux you can edit the fstab file located in:

/etc/fstab

you can use either pico or gedit:
pico /etc/fstab
gedit /etc/fstab

just add the following line on the bottom of the file:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/c vfat defaults 0 0 

and save changes.

then type:

mkdir /mnt/windows

to create a folder called "windows" were to mount the Win partition. finally,
type:

mount /mnt/windows

and you should be able to access all files saved in the linux partition and
launch them using Win software.
Forgot to mention that all of the above works only if the Windows partition is
in FAT16 or FAT32 format. If it is in NTFS format, you must make sure that your
kernel supports it and even if it does you will have read-only access to the
Windows partition.

Now, if you want to access linux files from the Windows partition you can use
one of the numerous freeware applets to help you do it. have a look at:
http://linuxcompatible.org/thread211-1.html

Hope that helps

Dimitrios Vlachakis,
Cardiff University

Dimitrios Vlachakis                
PhD student in Molecular Modelling 
Medicinal Chemistry Group          
Welsh School of Pharmacy           
Cardiff University                 
                                   
Redwood Building                   
King Edward VII Avenue             
CF10 3XF                           
Cardiff                            
Wales, UK                          
                                   
tel. +44 2920 877221               
tel. +44 2920 874551 (lab)         
fax. +44 2920 874537               

...................................................................................
>>> Narasinga Rao <Narasinga.Rao * scynexis.com> 03/03/05 3:01 PM >>>
Dear CCLers,

I would like to find out if it is possible to share files between Windows
and Linux partitions on the same system? For example, is there a way to
launch a browser(say, IE) in the Windows partition and have it run off the
Apachee web server running on the Linux partition of that system?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Narasinga Rao
Scynexis Inc.

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY * ccl.net

Send your subscription/unsubscription requests to: CHEMISTRY-REQUEST * ccl.net 
HOME Page: http://www.ccl.net   | Jobs Page: http://www.ccl.net/jobs 

If your mail is bouncing from CCL.NET domain send it to the maintainer:
Jan Labanowski,  jlabanow * nd.edu (read about it on CCL Home Page)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+