Subject: W:Symposium at Fall ACS in Washington, D.C.

From: "John, , Begemann" <begemann [] tripos.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:12:07 -0500

Bob Clark is organizing a symposium for this fall's ACS meeting in Washington DC (Aug 28-Sep 1, 2005) entitled:

(Q)SAR in Today's Agrochemistry

The discovery and development of any biologically active small molecule
necessarily entails biological or biochemical testing of candidate compounds
and relating the results obtained from such testing back to chemical
structure, i.e., establishing structure activity relationships (SARs).  This
symposium will embrace application of qualitative as well as quantitative
analytical methods to agrochemical problems in particular and to in vivo (or
ex vivo) assays in general, as well as lead identification (triage)
techniques.  Talks related to the design of primary and secondary screens
will also be appropriate, particularly as they relate to the ability to
subsequently carry out meaningful SAR analysis.

Many of the difficulties encountered in constructing structure-activity
relationships using agrochemical data are also encountered by those in
pharmaceutical discovery and development  who work, as is more and more
common, with whole cell assays.  This includes many of the environmental,
toxicological and ADME screens now in use in both industries.  The symposium
is being organized to provide a forum for those with experience in this
general realm to share what they have learned with those coming from a more
enzyme-based SAR background.

Papers involving agrochemical applications are especially encouraged, but
any discussion of the challenges that arise in similar applications - e.g.,
whole cell and intact animal assay systems - are invited as well. Please
submit abstracts directly to the OASYS system:

  http://oasys.acs.org/acs/230nm/agro/papers/index.cgi

The deadline for abstract submission is April 26, 2005.

Bob Clark
Tripos, Inc.
1699 S. Hanley Rd.
St. Louis MO 63144

bclark [] tripos.com